Go Back   Chevy Xtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1967-72 Chevy/GMC

Old 10-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
matt1morton

matt1morton is on a distinguished road
Parking Brake Cable

When I bought my 1972 Chevrolet K20 4x4 it did not have the parking brake cable installed under the truck. I have a new one and have been trying to install it. It looks like the cable will be close to the driveshaft. How does it install so that the cable is kept off the driveshaft?
matt1morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Parking Brake Cable

Hey man, welcome from Montana. I have a '72 Chevy K10. The parking brake cable and assembly is removed right now for the work I'm attempting. I'm about to uncover it, put it on the lift and take an inventory of the parts I need to order. If you can wait a day or two, and no one gives you the answers, I'll get back to you. Later.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

matt1morton, sorry it took so long to get back to you. If you haven't solve this issue yet, I took a couple pics of mine. The cable meets at a spring on both sides of the transfer case. The cables follow the frame to the rear tires, but they are suspended, not attached to the frame. The are close to the drive line and the exhaust, but seemed to clear everything by at least 5". Hope this helped. Later.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is looking at the driver's side of the cable.
[IMG][/IMG]
This one is mostly on the same part of the truck, just looking at the passenger side.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is the passenger side, going to the rear wheel.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

Way to go Tim!! Nice job showing

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
matt1morton

matt1morton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help. I figured it would work like you showed but the clearances on my truck seemed close. It will work though. Thanks again.
matt1morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Barn Owl
Respected Member

My Mood:
Barn Owl is on a distinguished road

Well since this thread seams to have been satisfied I'll ask a follow up question; When I swapped the Lincoln 9" into the rear of my C10 LWB I had to kind of marry the two era's and makes of E-brake linkage. It is pretty close and I can get satisfactory brake action but I have to press the pedal all the way to the floor to where it is on the carpet. I looked at the pedal assembly and it appears that there is no adjustment on the cable end like a threaded cable end. Is there any way to adjust these cables that I am missing?

Do not let other peoples opinion of you define who you are.

"When the whole world fits inside of your arms, do you really need to pay attention to the alarm?" Jack Johnson; Banana pancakes
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

I'm not looking at it right now, but if the springs have the same bracket as mine, it looks like a bicycle brake or a motorcycle set up where you turn the thumb screw. I wonder if you could manipulate the cable guide (with the hook) to take some slack out.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
CRUZ VILLANUEVA
Up And Coming Member

My Mood:
CRUZ VILLANUEVA is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike: is not too weak a Lincoln rearend in our trucks?
What ratio is and what year?
CRUZ VILLANUEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
pxwolvie
Respected Member

My Mood:
pxwolvie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
Well since this thread seams to have been satisfied I'll ask a follow up question; When I swapped the Lincoln 9" into the rear of my C10 LWB I had to kind of marry the two era's and makes of E-brake linkage. It is pretty close and I can get satisfactory brake action but I have to press the pedal all the way to the floor to where it is on the carpet. I looked at the pedal assembly and it appears that there is no adjustment on the cable end like a threaded cable end. Is there any way to adjust these cables that I am missing?
Hey Mike, didn't realized there was a follow up question. I know when I do rear disc brakes, I end up turning the piston out so the pad fits on as close as possible to the rotor when you slide the caliper back on to bolt it down, but not so tight that you are pounding down the caliper to bolt it down, the play between the pad and the rotor is taken out by applying the e brake and releasing it. In turn you are ratcheting the piston out slowly, thats how a lot of rear discs self adjust. If you set the e-brake pull and release it a few times, it should help firm up your pedal, or get under the truck and do it manually...this might fix it. I sometimes put my right foot on the brake pedal, and rachet the e-brake with my left and you can feel the brake pedal slowly pumping up.
Another thought, you might need to change your proportioning valve to one that is used for 4 wheel disc, if you haven't already.
pxwolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
72combo
Truck is sold but...

My Mood:
72combo is on a distinguished road

When I did mine I bought a univeral one and it allows you adjust it in the proper spot and where it connects at the back. Was a life saver because when I switched to a single drive shaft I had an issue with the location, this cable locates differently. I cant remember even where I bought it,,,probably up north in Ontario,
72combo is offline   Reply With Quote