Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Electrical

Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road
Ignition Switch re-wire

I worked on this until my brain overheated and my fingers got too cold and stiff. The pic of the black and white connectors appear to be for the ignition switch. The wires are all labeled for it. The connectors do not, and will never, fit the switch.

Is this one of the times when I need to cut the connectors off and attach each wire individually? I just don't understand why EZ Wire would send these connectors, so I wonder if I'm missing something. Thanks, guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA030014.jpg (49.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg PA030013.jpg (57.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg PA030012.jpg (96.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg connector 4.jpg (61.5 KB, 54 views)

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ignition Switch re-wire

Dang Bill, Sorry, you got me. There's no way that that pig tail will plug in. Wrong year? wrong harness? Do you still have your old harness? If so you can remove the wires from this pig tail and put them where needed into your old one. That's what I would probably do. (Not probably, I would)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

Ron, that's Tim.
I kept looking at the pictures, looking at the contacts, and I don't see a way for that to work.
I don't know what wiring kit you have, but I'd be sending those pictures to them and asking for their assistance.
Just for conversation, I'm doing an AAW kit in my 56 Chevy 210, and I have to tell you, it is just a plug and play system. It came with all the new switches, and all the plugs to hook up...........so far.
I'm thru the dash part........and getting ready to do the engine harness.
I hope whatever kit you have, you can contact them, and get thru this.....keep us posted.
Az Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Ron, that's Tim.
I kept looking at the pictures, looking at the contacts, and I don't see a way for that to work.
I don't know what wiring kit you have, but I'd be sending those pictures to them and asking for their assistance.
Just for conversation, I'm doing an AAW kit in my 56 Chevy 210, and I have to tell you, it is just a plug and play system. It came with all the new switches, and all the plugs to hook up...........so far.
I'm thru the dash part........and getting ready to do the engine harness.
I hope whatever kit you have, you can contact them, and get thru this.....keep us posted.

DUH! OK, It's proof positive, I'm loosing my mind>>>>

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

This is the EZ Wire system. I don't like to give bad feedback on a company, but in this case, the product is terrible. LMC Truck sells this system and they leave way too much out to complete the job. The connectors are either "universal" or not included. The instructions are "universal", and communicating with them seems to be "universal". I just sent an email to them with these photos. I'll let you know how that goes.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100

Last edited by Chicago5; 10-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road

Tim its going to be a matter of using a small, ( very small ) screw driver or drill bit to release the wires from the plugs and inserting into your stock plug, I`m assuming all the wires are there in the EZ harness...? Help me out here guys...LOL
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

I'm more curious to see what EZ has to say......
Az Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
Tim its going to be a matter of using a small, ( very small ) screw driver or drill bit to release the wires from the plugs and inserting into your stock plug, I`m assuming all the wires are there in the EZ harness...? Help me out here guys...LOL
You're right as I have already said the same thing as above.
I use a very small sharp ended pick, you can buy a 4 pieces set for little or nothing at Harbor freight. It's seriously a very simple job. you just have to know how to do it.

“Wow what a ride”
Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

The very small regular screwdriver will work also but it has to be like a hobbyist set. (Sharp and small enough to slide between the plastic and metal connection piece to release it.) There again Harbor freight has a great little set. It comes with it's own box to keep things together with gads of little screwdriver ends and square ends and more that I can't remember. Also has about a 5 or 6 inch extension that's bendable to get to tight places.

“Wow what a ride”
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Here is the email from EZ Wire..."Those connectors are for an ign in the column. Yours is in the dash and you will need to retain that original plug."

My response: R Souza, thanks for getting back to me. If I understand correctly, an EZ Wire harness for a 1972 Chevy truck isn't necessarily a wire harness for a 1972 Chevy truck? I do have the original plugs and connectors, but in ordering the EZ Wire system, I thought it included the correct plugs and connectors, as opposed to me cutting and/or re-pinning to make it fit. Is that the case for this particular wire system? Thanks again for your input. Tim

I don't mind de-pinning the connectors, but I don't understand how they fit in the slots. Is there a tab in the top or bottom of the pin? Thanks a ton! Once the connectors are done, life will be good.

Tags
connector, EZ Wire, ignition, switch