Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Electrical

Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
enigma
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
enigma is on a distinguished road
grounding

is there a best place so to speak for grounding the body to the frame?
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Re: grounding

The more the merrier. By that I mean ground the dog house, ground the cab and ground the bed. There is no disadvantage but a lot of advantages. NAPA or pretty much any auto parts stores have good grounding straps.

Future corrosion is an issue so I drilled holes in the frame, tapped the holes, used stainless steel bolts and never siezed the assembly all up when I tightened it up.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road

Don't know, but I will want to pay attention because I'm about to be at this point with the '72. Sorry I can't help you out.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
enigma
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

so it doesnt matter from which point or where it is grounded but as long as it is grounded?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

That's pretty much true......but remember, there is a difference between a ground and a GOOD ground. To give you an example, my friend Charlie would take a car that had dim headlights and (to prove a point to me) put a ground strap from the core support to the frame. There was no change. Then, he cleaned the area on the core support and the frame, cleaned up the grounding strap, so everything got a GOOD ground, and the headlights were noticeably stronger. He would always tell me the 10 most common causes of electrical problems were, grounding, grounding, grounding........you get the idea.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
enigma
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

yes i do thank you
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Strollin' Down Memory Lane

My dad bought a brand new '72 C20 when I was 11. By the time I was 18 the ole '72 had been handed down to my Grandfather and it was a rusted hulk (Ohio's winter salt trucks are brutal on daily driver vehicles).

Grandpa asked me to trouble shoot an electrical problem he was having with the C20. When he used the turn signal, both signals would come on? I took a long piece of 12 ga. wire and temporarily ran it from the negative post of the battery to the back of the truck. I had grandpa use the left turn signal and sure enough the right and left signals were flashing. I touched the ground wire to the left tail light and presto, no more right turn signal, only the left.

I pulled the tailght housing out and added a short 12 ga. ground wire that went from the housing down to the frame. Problem solved .... well until the rear trailing arms rusted so bad they broke into two pieces... that can't be fixed with 12 ga. wire (or bailin' wire)

Grampa and the C-20 are both gone, but not the memories.....

Side Note: The C-20 was orange with a white cab.

John

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 02-19-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote