Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Electrical

Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
72chevy
Up And Coming Member

My Mood:
72chevy is on a distinguished road
Question Wiring question

Alright so i have a 454 in a jet boat with a mallory distributor and stock starter and an msd coil. I have no wiring whatsoever for it. okay. Now there are 3 wires coming out of the distributor Red : Goes to a ballast resistor then to the + side of the coil Green:Goes to the - side of the coil and Brown:is a ground. Right?
3 spots on the starter big one obviously goes to battery. what about the other ones? Am i needing to hook anything else up to run it ? and when i go to hook up an alternator where do the alternator wires run too? it would be awesome if you guys can help we wire this boat as i go
72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wiring question

I'm usually sharp on wiring but I have the flue and can't think straight.

Is there any wiring in the boat whatsoever?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”

Last edited by BAGGED70C-10; 11-19-2012 at 06:55 PM.
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
72chevy
Up And Coming Member

My Mood:

it came with super old wires in a box that were run to a junction block but nothing was labeled and every wire was super stiff and the junction was all rusted out so i had no way of figuring out what goes to what and the motor was out of the boat with no starter. Most of the wiring harness was cut anyways
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road

Your Mallory dizzy...? Which style dist is it, unlite electronic or standard points, the run circut will be simple, but you will need the alt hooked up as well for this to run I believe...get yourself a stainless junction block from any of the boat shops...
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
72chevy
Up And Coming Member

My Mood:

yeah that's what it had was one of the those blocks. But i believe the dist comes up on mallory's site as a magnetic breakerless dist.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

You should be able to get the manual for that dizzy on their web site. I've never messed with a MSD that I can remember.

A boat is going to be relatively easy to wire, It's very simple without all the additional junk Vehicles have.

I would go down to you local hardware store and ask what they have for different colored wires. The different colors will go to different items.
Harbor Freight has a wiring assorment in a metal rack. They have two, I would say to get the bigger one, More colors and a better assortment of gauges of wire. You only have to wire up an ignition system, Coil, Dizzy, and Ignition switch. Then the front light and rear light. If you want a stereo and speakers that wiill be another small circuit set.
Jegs or Summit and other stores sell a battery cable set that runs from the battery to the starter. I don't remember price but it''s a little pricey, but then you have the proper gauge for that part of it.

MSD Manual.
If you have the "PRO" series you will have to have their C.D. box also.
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...DTN_pn9615.pdf

Here's Summit's page on the kits. The Silicone wire is the best but you don't have to have it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...le%20kit&dds=1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”

Last edited by BAGGED70C-10; 11-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

We`re asuming you have a GM alternator, but send a pic of it anyways to be sure, mallory does have the wiring circut on line for the magnetic system....We need to know the distributor number on the side of the dizzy on the tag...
Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
We`re asuming you have a GM alternator, but send a pic of it anyways to be sure, mallory does have the wiring circut on line for the magnetic system....We need to know the distributor number on the side of the dizzy on the tag...
dang, Forgot the charging circuit....Good catch Rich!

“Wow what a ride”
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
72chevy
Up And Coming Member

My Mood:

the distributor part number is YLM524AV on the sticker and theres another sticker that says Model number YH. Now the coil is also brand new and its an MSD blaster high vibration coil and the alternator i don't have that yet but whichever is easier to hook up and not super expensive
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

For an alternator just get a GM 10 si, you`ll need it to wire into your run circut, or it will not even run with the alt disconnected, you can get rebuilt units relatively cheap.