Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Electrical

Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: EZ Wiring Project

The one on the steering column, neutral safety switch? The first one, maybe brake light switch? The other two, are they for turn signals? I'm not sure, because of the pictures, exactly where this stuff is......but you've got me thinking.
I'm just getting in to my AAW wiring kit for the 56...........my truck was rewired about 7 or 8 years ago, with an M & H wiring kit.
Let's see how many I got right, let the experts chime in.......
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road

OK. I circled where they are from an overview shot. The black 2 prong under the dash, above the column, is the stop light switch. You're right. I'm pretty sure the top relay (?) in the second pic in the horn relay. Thanks, Geezer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connector overview.jpg (83.6 KB, 40 views)

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

I "found" a hole in the firewall. Can anyone tell me what wires go through? From under the dash, the hole is above the accelerator pedal linkage, towards the center. Or, is that hole maybe for the choke cable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3190001.jpg (70.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P3190003.jpg (97.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P3190004.jpg (59.4 KB, 31 views)

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #24
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
That harness didn't come with a bulkhead connector?
The inside harness should be mounted on the fire wall, and your engine/under hood wires will bolt onto the bulkhead connector from the engine/firewall side making a tight seal.
s/t
Hey all. I've been away forever. Just life's demands and blessings keeping me busy. However, I'm knee deep in questions and head scratching.

Not having a bulkhead connector with the EZ Wire kit has me stumped. I have what's left of this one, but the kit has every wire going to something, so there is nothing left to wire into the bulkhead connector. Unless the bulkhead connector is between the wire and the alternator (for example)

Is there an aftermarket set up? I've looked at pics of other trucks, like Marks, and there seems to be smaller add on bulkheads. But, the engine harness has the connector that HAS to connect to the original bulkhead, so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8070002.jpg (50.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P8070003.jpg (68.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P8070005.jpg (53.8 KB, 24 views)

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Wow, Tim.......you're making me think, and that makes my head hurt...........
I'm doing my 56 with an AAW kit......but I've learned some valuable lessons from it, and realize people much smarter than me designed the kit.
My kit is basically like yours. I did the dash wiring first, easy stuff.........longest wires went to the farthest point......and were all marked where they belong, and had the proper connection to hook it up.
The engine harness needed a special grommet (which I think should be included in every kit) that I ordeered, and then learned from others that the way to install it easily was to put it in hot water for a couple minutes to soften it up. Then the "bulkhead connector" fit inside it, and it pressed in to the firewall easily and the engine harness plugged in to that.
The light harness was different. It plugged together under the dash, and I put it thru the firewall with a grommet in the hole in the firewall. Then it was just a matter of routing and adding connectors. The one thing I did differently than the instructions said was for the park/turn signal lights. They sent little "rivits" that you are supposed to crimp on the wires for your connections for the bulbs. I screwed up enough of them, ordered more rivets, and then talked to a friend who had just finished an AAW kit on his 66 C10. He had the same problem, and went to the parts store and bought sockets that were already wired and spliced them in. I did the same.
I haven't wired the back harness yet, as I want my son-in-law to paint the inside of my trunk for me first. The I'll run it with all clean, new wire and grommets.
I hope this offers you some help. If you have a problem with my explanation, let me know, I'll try another way to explain it.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Thanks, Bill. By grommet, do you mean a rubber washer that protects the wires going through the firewall? My main issue is: How do I use the stock bulkhead with a kit that seems to work without it? Then, I I don't use the stock one, what do I do with the plug (in the pic above)?

But, just having some ideas from you guys and maybe some correction will probably be enough. It's getting close to being able to start up and run!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #27
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Tim, is this stuff from your EZ kit? Or are you trying to mix original wiring components with your new kit? The reason I ask, is I had the same questions........how do these wires go into/thru the fittings on the firewall.......the answer was, they don't. I was totally suprised by that, but once I called AAW, looked at what i had, ordered their special grommet, the engine wiring went quickly. Once I used my head, read the instructions on the light harness, looked at that part of the kit, I slowly realized how stupid I was being, and got 'er done.
If that's all new stuff, let me know........and I'll think some more.

Of course, I wired my truck with an M&H kit, and the help of a friend. That was all stock, swap this for that kind of a deal.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #28
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Well, first off, there is no tech support with EZ Wire. I can email, but I'm so lost it's hard to form an intelligible question.

The EZ Wire kit wires are all labeled. Every wire has a destination, so I'd have to divert from the instructions to use a bulkhead connector.

The last pic in my post is the engine wire harness from Classic Truck Parts (.com) Maybe I don't use that connector, I don't know. I just know this is the third summer attempting to finish the wiring and I might pull my hair out if I had some.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Tim, I know it's intimidating. Sorry to hear there's no tech support. We'll all learn from that fact. Aren't the wires bundled in groups? How about putting the wires thru a grommet in the firewall in groups? Isn't one group lights? and another the engine harness? Put them thru, and route to each destination. I know that sounds easier than it is, but each wire routed to the destination will eventually get them all where they belong, then attach each where it belongs. That's what I did anyway. Of course, I haven't fired the car up yet, so I din't know if everything works or not, but I'm pretty confident it all will work.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #30
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

No tech support really sucks. I guess that makes it "EZ" for them, not so "EZ" for you

I've done (2) complete wiring systems, both were from Painless. They used the same logic Bill explains above. Start by routing the bundles, then hook them up one wire at a time.

Only problem I had was the Ford 5.0 HO motor in my '27 Model T kept running when I turned the key off, So I had to pull the choke lever to kill the engine. Tech support told me to install a diode on the alternator wiring, which fixed that issue.

Hang in there Tim, you'll get it.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote