Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > General Discussion Board / Events And Activities > General Discussion-Off-topic Chat

General Discussion-Off-topic Chat a place to shoot the breeze and get to know each other.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Personal Cyber security

First, I have my own Toy Money for all my hobbies, Mama has her own and we share the "House Account"
We went to town running errands, going out to eat and getting Groceries and Gas. I only used My House account card in one place. The Gas Pumps outside of Smiths.(For every $100.00 you buy you get 10 cents off a gallon of gas.) The next morning Betty gets a call from our bank asking if we had used that joint house account at about 8 places. The Wife told the lady no we hadn't. Their were over $1000.00 charges on my house card. They closed that account and reissued me a new card and pin number. I got on the phone with this lady (really cool gal) and I started to ask her different questions, Like do they let these charges go through the bank? Yes they do but not through our account. Who pays for these charges? The Company that allowed the charges to go through. Do those companies just suck it up or do they go after the culprit through legal means? the companies sign a contract that says they are responsible for all charges they allow the culprit to make on that card and because of that the Credit or Debit companies accepted the transaction on the cards . All cards have a new reader in their card so this "shouldn't" happen any longer and if any company does not buy the machine they will be held for any and all losses incurred.
I've been probably 10 hours over the last two weeks doing searches on how we Personally can do anything to make ourselves secure. There only thing at this time is we can either have the bank remove the automatic reader on our cards, or take a step ourselves to set up a simple thing on our parts of putting something Metal around the cards. This is done usually with the wallets we buy (The metal ones"" or the small thin cards that have metal in them. These are inexpensive credit card sized cards. These cards are only half the thickness of other cards and are place no more than 5 cards apart. so if you have say 7 you will need one additional card.
I just ordered mine tonight through Amazon. I have had my account compromised twice in the last 10 years. That's enough. I hope doing this is really going to work. LOL

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”

Last edited by BAGGED70C-10; 10-31-2015 at 01:15 AM.
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:48 AM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: Personal Cyber security

Yah, as a business owner, we had to buy the new machine. It became effective the first of the month. The biggest problem is getting the ****ed thing to work. You get p!$$ed off when you insert the card 3 or 4 times and it won't work, then you use the old machine to process the transaction, and you are liable if anything is hinky. The card company is off the hook, and the business takes the loss. Sweet deal, huh?
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:19 AM   #3
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Yah, as a business owner, we had to buy the new machine. It became effective the first of the month. The biggest problem is getting the ****ed thing to work. You get p!$$ed off when you insert the card 3 or 4 times and it won't work, then you use the old machine to process the transaction, and you are liable if anything is hinky. The card company is off the hook, and the business takes the loss. Sweet deal, huh?
I'd call your bank and tell them to fix it immediately otherwise you're NOT responsible....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Everyone I talk to seems to be having problems with the machines........Bonnie had to insert hers 4 times yesterday before it worked, it's almost like that's a built in flaw.......
Old 10-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

My Personal card is set up for the new machine. I hope it works.. they say there is added info on new cards to have the security.

“Wow what a ride”
Old 10-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

No, I think it's just a way the card companies shift the liability for loss from them to the merchants who accept them. So far, from a merchant's standpoint, it looks like a system designed to fail.