Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > General Discussion Board / Events And Activities > General Discussion-Off-topic Chat

General Discussion-Off-topic Chat a place to shoot the breeze and get to know each other.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
sad day at our house

About 14 years ago, a young dog, abandoned by some sleezeball, came wandering across our land, and adopted us. Not quite a pup, but nowhere near full grown, she'd been attacked by coyotes, and had bites all over. We had just buried our last dog 3 weeks prior. We took her to the vet, where she got shots, treatment for the bites, and chipped. She was our dog. We took her to a trainer for basic stuff, and she was fine. Twice, my neighbors pit bulls attacked her and chewed on her. When she was about 5, she was bitten by a brown recluse spider, and lost the skin on the right side of her head. A skin graft, and 30 days in the animal hospital, and she was ok again. As Bonnie will tell you, she liked everybody, but loved me. When she was younger, she always rode with me in the truck. She would sit by my side, Bonnie called it date night. It was funny to pull up to a stop light, and look in the mirror, as people behind us would watch as she'd reach over and give me kisses. She's about 15, well past the time a Shepard mix should live. Christmas morning, she couldn't stand up. Thank *** for my Vet, I sent an e-mail, and he called me 20 minutes later. Got her going again. She's been stumbling, and been having issues, but kept hanging in there. Tuesday, she started having issues with diaria and the Vet gave us some meds that fixed it right away. This morning, I took her out for a walk about 5am, and she seemed ok, then started acting funny, and finally laid down. That's when I noticed she was bloating. Got in to Vet at 10:30, and he told us what we suspected.....we were at the end of the road. She would never survive surgery if we opted to do it. She was put down peacefully, and I just finished burying her by the side of my shop, where she would want to be. I know we had her longer than we should have, but it still hurts...I'll miss Bear.........
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: sad day at our house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
About 14 years ago, a young dog, abandoned by some sleezeball, came wandering across our land, and adopted us. Not quite a pup, but nowhere near full grown, she'd been attacked by coyotes, and had bites all over. We had just buried our last dog 3 weeks prior. We took her to the vet, where she got shots, treatment for the bites, and chipped. She was our dog. We took her to a trainer for basic stuff, and she was fine. Twice, my neighbors pit bulls attacked her and chewed on her. When she was about 5, she was bitten by a brown recluse spider, and lost the skin on the right side of her head. A skin graft, and 30 days in the animal hospital, and she was ok again. As Bonnie will tell you, she liked everybody, but loved me. When she was younger, she always rode with me in the truck. She would sit by my side, Bonnie called it date night. It was funny to pull up to a stop light, and look in the mirror, as people behind us would watch as she'd reach over and give me kisses. She's about 15, well past the time a Shepard mix should live. Christmas morning, she couldn't stand up. Thank *** for my Vet, I sent an e-mail, and he called me 20 minutes later. Got her going again. She's been stumbling, and been having issues, but kept hanging in there. Tuesday, she started having issues with diaria and the Vet gave us some meds that fixed it right away. This morning, I took her out for a walk about 5am, and she seemed ok, then started acting funny, and finally laid down. That's when I noticed she was bloating. Got in to Vet at 10:30, and he told us what we suspected.....we were at the end of the road. She would never survive surgery if we opted to do it. She was put down peacefully, and I just finished burying her by the side of my shop, where she would want to be. I know we had her longer than we should have, but it still hurts...I'll miss Bear.........
Bill and Bonnie,
I totally understand your sadness. I'm so sorry for your loss and feel for you as mainly an Animal lover can. In the last few years we have lost my Wife's horse of 30 years old. I lost my Mule of about the same age. We lost our Pug of almost 15 years old and lost our Pit of 12 or 13.
Then the day before we got on the plane for Germany, We had to put down another Pug of somewhere around 12 years.
It all hurts in the deepest way.(Except for family)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

Doggies are some of the best "people" we humans will ever meet.

So sorry to read about your loss Bill & Bonnie. We've all been where you are... maybe you could post up some photos of Bear and we could post some photos of our departed companions too?

Our last pooch was an Afghan hound named Argos... he was an awesome dude. So many awesome memories.

He helped me build my Model A.. the always present shop dog, wondering what I was doing.

He hated the word "Louisville" and loved to have his teeth brushed at night...

The vet once told us we had to stop feeding him Purina Dog Chow... too much fat. So we tried Kibbles and Bits.... he had a metal dog dish and when we switched his food we would here this noise like somebody spitting into a spittoon..... Argos liked the kibble, but not the bits.... he was spitting the bits out.

When we had to have him put down it was unexpected... I cried like a baby. He stood there looking concerned... like it was ok, like he knew what was up and was at peace with it and was glad that his human friends finally knew too.

Here's a photo of Argos. We'd have him shaved every summer because he had so much hair he would just be miserable in the heat. The only Afghan Hound i have ever seen that looked like an old coon dog

Argos to this day rides with us every time we take out the ole Model T roadster..... his dog collar leads the way, proudly displayed on the front grille shell.

____
John
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! Still a little too new to get over, but time will heal. Not used to not taking her for a walk every few hours. She's buried out on "Paw Hill", a little slope next to my shop where all our pets over the last 21 years are resting peacefully..........
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
GMCDAC
Respected Member
Posting Expert

GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Sure sorry Bill. Loree and I decided a long time ago not to have any more pets, partly due to the expense, partly due to a lifestyle that doesn't give enough time for them but mainly because of what you are going through right now.

Our daughter moved back home a while back and she has a big fat cat that seems to have taken a liking to me though---

John the collar on the grill is a great tribute to the faithful friend. I've still got the collar of an old dog we had when I was a kid hanging in the office of my shop and she has been gone over 40 years now.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom bought in 1971 and drove until 2001
1972 GMC C2500 Wife and I bought in 1979 and still drivin it
1955 GMC 2nd 100 driver work in progress
2006 GMC Yukon Denali, my wife's ride
Rest in peace Mom, "Dolly" Crawford, 30 year GMC 4x4 driver!
7-15-23 to 5-18-09
GMCDAC is offline   Reply With Quote