Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Tech Info & Tool Board > Tool Of The Week Forum

Tool Of The Week Forum Show off your great tool's here Ask questions about tool's here

Old 10-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
pxwolvie
Coordinator

My Mood:
pxwolvie is on a distinguished road
Bernzomatic ST250k 6 Piece Micro Torch

My keyless remote stopped working so I grabbed a new battery to throw in, I saw that the ring that holds the battery in place had popped off on 2 spots on the board. I searched for my micro torch kit and couldn't find it, so I had to replace the missing tool , I saw this one at Home Depot for 17 bucks, figured If this worked it was still cheaper than the 68 bucks wanted online for replacement remote. It did the job I needed it to do.

The only thing I noticed that this kit didn't have that my old one did was a striker, which was on the handle cap on the end of the torch, so had to buy a lighter.

I usually use this one when I do wiring, to give it a solid connection by soldiering wires vs but connectors, then use heat shrink to anything open and exposed. Half of the time I'm under a dash and the pen torch comes in handy when you need it.
pxwolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bernzomatic ST250k 6 Piece Micro Torch

It sounds like you and I have had the same ones. This one gave up on me within a few months, I really liked it while it worked.

The first one I had was a self starting, I liked it way better than this one only because of the lighting situation.

These are so handy to do any wiring job with, I love when I have to work under the dash, it gives so much freedom of movement instead of fighting with a Power cord I definitely need another.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

So... you can use this to solder circuit boards and the heat and the flame doesn't hurt the board itself?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

There's a solid piece that screws on the end, The flame hits the back of it and heats it fast.

To the right of the solder coil is the solid end which screws in to the next piece to the right which screws into the base. In between there is a hole on each side which is where you start it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”

Last edited by BAGGED70C-10; 10-27-2014 at 07:47 PM.
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the 411
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
pxwolvie
Coordinator

My Mood:
pxwolvie is on a distinguished road

As Ron mentioned, you screw on the tip on to the receiver and the flame heats the tip up. You have to keep in mind at the top of the receiver where the tip screws in, there is a small hole that acts as a small exhaust port for the flame to exit as it heats the tip up, so working under the dash depending how tight the area is you must aim the exhaust port to a area that will not burn or melt the surrounding area. That is the only down side to it, once you are used to it, it becomes second nature to check. It dose heat up fast and gets the job done quickly. I did the board on the desk, so I didn't have to think about it here.
pxwolvie is offline   Reply With Quote