Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Tech Info & Tool Board > Tool Of The Week Forum

Tool Of The Week Forum Show off your great tool's here Ask questions about tool's here

Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road
Pressure Washer Soap

I have a small Craftsman Pressure Washer. It is not a heater type. Last summer I put dish soap in the soap container. Some suds appeared on the car, then nothing. The water was the same, just no soap. I saw (after the fact) the big notice to use only pressure washer soap. Why is that? What is the difference? I figured is was a sales tactic, but maybe not.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100

Last edited by Chicago5; 01-16-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added info.
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
GMCDAC
Respected Member
Posting Expert

GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Re: Pressure Washer Soap

Ok I will try this again. I posted a couple hours ago and it's gone. I must not have posted the reply properly I suppose.

My washer may be like yours. I don't mess around with using soap thru it, as I think it wastes most of it. I mix about any kind of soap, including shampoo, carpet soap, laundry detergent, whatever is around at the time in a weed sprayer. I will spray that on first, scrub with a brush then wash with the pressure washer.

If I have to wash a NICE car like the wife's I take it to the car wash!

Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pressure washer 002.jpg (68.8 KB, 43 views)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom bought in 1971 and drove until 2001
1972 GMC C2500 Wife and I bought in 1979 and still drivin it
1955 GMC 2nd 100 driver work in progress
2006 GMC Yukon Denali, my wife's ride
Rest in peace Mom, "Dolly" Crawford, 30 year GMC 4x4 driver!
7-15-23 to 5-18-09
GMCDAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Huh. Never thought of the weed sprayer. Your's looks just about like mine. I was wondering it the "thickness" of dish soap kept it from flowing into the pump. It's not a big deal, though. I spray it off, bucket wash, then spray the soap off.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Maui
Respected Member

My Mood:
Maui is on a distinguished road

I have a Karcher powerwasher it has a long tube with an adjustable screened intake on it that you put down into the soap bottle. Works great! Seems weird that it started working then quit. any adjustment for it anywhere?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

Mine is the kind you change end nozzles on, One of those nozzles is a Soap nozzle.

I use different things for different usages. Basically Simple Green for the real cleanup and this unit for car washing. (You don't want to wash your nice finish with a pressure it will blow any paint away that is loose) There is also a Cleaner that works the best I have found for dirt and grease but right now it's slipped my mind. I bought it in 5 gallon containers. I'll post it if I remember.

I don't know if this is still available, I bought it a few years back.
This is a unit made by Mr clean. It's called Mr.Clean Auto clean. It even comes with it's own filter. Good for me, I have well water with no filtration.

The soap goes in the big clear area.

You rinse off your rig, then change it to soap and soap down your rig really good, then switch it back to clear water. Of course you have to rub your rig down in between.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

I bet the nozzle is a key. I have the yellow nozzle for more of a spray. It's supposed to be 40* today, so I'll give the soap and the nozzle change a try!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Maui
Respected Member

My Mood:
Maui is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago5 View Post
I bet the nozzle is a key. I have the yellow nozzle for more of a spray. It's supposed to be 40* today, so I'll give the soap and the nozzle change a try!
40? Boy your lucky! LOL!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
40? Boy your lucky! LOL!
I know! It was sub zero last week, now this.

Here is my washer and here is some detergent. I, being the loving, smart husband that I've become, ran to Wal-Mart for my wife. To compensate myself for the trouble, I picked up some Green Scene Wash and Wax. I used the spray nozzle and nothing happened. I suppose I could check the valve under the container.

*Last Photo* There is a good leak behind the inlet tube coupling. There is no washer between the coupling and the end of the tube, only on the hose side. Is there supposed to be a second washer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1180004.jpg (118.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1180006.jpg (138.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1180009.jpg (76.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1180005.jpg (135.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Chicago5; 01-18-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
GMCDAC
Respected Member
Posting Expert

GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Hey Tim, It was darn nice here today too, but you have a lot more snow!

Your washer is very similar to mine, just mine is 2700 psi. the attachment points look the same. Here are pics of where the hoses attach on mine. Of course my soap siphon inlet is plugged with a vinyl cap because I don't use it. You will probably just have to take your air compressor to the soap circuit to try to blow out what may be plugging it.

As far as the leak on the inlet end, it should just be the rubber gasket is bad, or the fitting needs a little more tightening.

I should explain a little more why I don't use the soap siphon. Our well water is very hard and the soaps can be ineffective as a result. I fill the weed sprayer with softened water from the house to mix the soap in, and usually I use hot water in it. Just gotta be fast!--LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pressure washer 004.jpg (51.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Pressure washer 005.jpg (58.4 KB, 27 views)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom bought in 1971 and drove until 2001
1972 GMC C2500 Wife and I bought in 1979 and still drivin it
1955 GMC 2nd 100 driver work in progress
2006 GMC Yukon Denali, my wife's ride
Rest in peace Mom, "Dolly" Crawford, 30 year GMC 4x4 driver!
7-15-23 to 5-18-09
GMCDAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Thanks, DAC! I can really amaze myself sometimes. I had the tube from the soap container on some blocked valve or something. I have the same plastic cover on what I now know is for the soap tube!

For the fitting being tightened, do you mean making sure the garden hose and the fitting are snuggger?

Last edited by Chicago5; 01-19-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarification

Tags
pressure washer, pressure washer soap