Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 07-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #31
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

sparkyall is on a distinguished road
Re: rivet

Well I did everything I could do and replace all that I thought was wrong, I still had a noise on no 8 upper cylinder even went in the spark plug hole with my camera so the only thing I could think of that would be making the noise like I hear would be a guide busted off and bouncing up and down on the valve (the noise wasn't constant like a lifter, etc) pulled the head and the piston was hitting the head and making a perfect circle on the head and the top of the piston was cleared off in circle, Going to look at a 350 a guy has for $250 monday, lol
sparkyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #32
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

Wow, This is interesting. Any Idea on what maybe started the head to Piston Problem? About the only thing I can think of would be the Rod stretching (which would be very rare) or someone changed heads and went to a smaller cc higher compression head which could bring the piston and valves in closer relationship?

I very happy you found your problem though.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #33
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

sparkyall is on a distinguished road

the funny thing about this is for 200 miles no noise and ran great, then when the noise started it still idles smooth and when you reved it up it wasn't constant will follow up when tear down happens. Scored the 350 engine and the pistons are .60 over, I hear all sorts of horror stories but this is a 71 engine so there is a little bit more meat to it, will find out after I've had it cleaned and tested, did check one cyl and the top ring was .0004 past the service limit (.0036) but looked good
sparkyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #34
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

Maybe the block was decked (over spec') and then the #8 rod stretched, those two things combined resulting in the issue?

Or maybe just mis-matched components.

If nothing else, you and the rest of us, are all learning a lot from this.
_____
John
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #35
TRUCKIN 1
Site Vendor

My Mood:
TRUCKIN 1 is on a distinguished road

Hey Sparkyall, Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a 350 from a 73 van with less than 37000 miles on it. I have the speedo showing the miles.We harvested it personally to use in my 55. but after all the expense of the build we decided to go with a crate motor. I have the powerglide attached to it. too. the original ATF still is as pink as ever. Ill take 450.00 for the pair or 300.00 for the 350 and all I would do to it is change the valve seals, gaskets and go. I'm in northern ILL.
TRUCKIN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #36
TRUCKIN 1
Site Vendor

My Mood:
TRUCKIN 1 is on a distinguished road

Did the wrist pin elongate, You have heard some people talk about a "zero deck engine". This refers to the deck clearance of the engine being zero i.e. the pistons comes all the way up to the top of the deck surfacewith no clearance. Typically from the factory, engines will have about .020" of deck clearance. Or pin move. if it was a zero deck and someone changed the gaskets without compensating. The pins can be moved for longer stroke too! Omg a lot can happen.
TRUCKIN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote