Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 07-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #21
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

sparkyall is on a distinguished road
Re: rivet

Tappets looked real good (still convex) but I had a couple that after I blew the oil out had some binding so I took each one apart and found a lot of glitter. so all new lifters coming with new push rods (a couple of them had just enough bend in them you could tell on a piece of glass) They were the factory stock kind so I'm getting the style with the balls on the ends. Now for the record, I talked to a few engine companies and they said it's okay to put new lifters on a used cam as long as the cam isn't damaged (it's not) but you can't put a new cam with old lifters and was also told even if I replaced just one lifter it's smart to do a cam break in again, 2000 to 3500 rpm at least 20 minutes/
sparkyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #22
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
GASoline71 is on a distinguished road

Are you using guide plates for the rods? Or are the stock holes in the heads rubbing on the rods. That could be your source of the "glitter" in the oil.

One thing though... if there is no kidding glitter in the oil... it's everywhere in that engine. Possibly embedded in the bearings too.

Gary
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #23
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

I believe the glitter was from not cleaning the oil pan when I first put a cam in and thought the new oils had zinc in them. I wonder sometimes between the no zinc oils and ethanol somebody is plotting to get rid of older cars.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
GASoline71 is on a distinguished road

LOL... It seems that way sometime.

I will say that if you just changed cams because of a cam failure... you needed to do a complete teardown and cleaning. In the last 10 years I have had to do this twice from losing a camshaft. Once to me and once to a buddy of mine.

The amount of metal particles trapped in hidden places inside the engine is massive. Especially under the baffle in the oil pan. There is a good chance the lifters you put in now will go through the same thing.

Not be all full of doom and gloom... but use caution.

Gary
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #25
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

I did one of the best cleaning job your seen and this might help others, if you have an old oil pump cut is so you can tap the hone that the oil goes up through the system then hook up a hose to it and use either a hand pump or an electric one that will handle oil, I then bought a gallon of tanny fluid and just ran the thing until everything comes out clean. I used a big drip pan to catch the fluid, on the oil passages to the lifters use and old lifter on each side and put a pair of vise grips on the lifter so it's in a position not to let oil pass and drop in your priming dist or tool so the fluids go through the bearings, once all is clean use oil to replace the tranny fluid until it comes out with clean oil. It takes some work but it's cheaper and easier than pulling an engine, oh I forgot, it helps the cleaning if you turn the engine over with a crank turner while you do this, that way it gets everything. Put you freshly cleaned oil pan back on (of course with the oil pump and a new filter,m prime the engine like you normally would and run in the break in process. Takes time but so does a rebuild and since it's a 305 I won't do the lower end until I get a 350 then the baby motor goes by by
Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #26
OLD 9
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
OLD 9 is on a distinguished road

Torque - it's a beautiful thing.
OLD 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #27
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

the one thing I learned from all this is the bypass built into the unit the oil filter connects to, I believe that it had opened up enough to let the small pieces of the shattered oil shaft collar to get into the lifter passage, yes they had the bypass built into the filters back when I was building in the 'old days' and it only opened if the filter clogged up. one more question while I'm here, in this kind of work what does being called a 'troll' mean???
Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #28
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

Since I'm the one who said it, I'll explain it very simply.
It's some one who goes to a site and asks a lot of questions and doesn't follow what the members give him advice on, also some one who just comes to a site to stir S**T among the members.

All of us that are answering questions and giving you good advice are very educated in what we do and know. We have all done what you're doing and I for one have took the shortcuts (I'm sure we all have) that you're trying to take and have had things go wrong and all of us have given you the same answer. In attempting to save a couple of bucks and do the tear down and at least throw a mic on the parts concerned of and go from there. This would only cost the price of cam cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets unless you find problems.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #29
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

I see, it's been to long since I've done any power rebuilds, just a rebuild is nothing but trying to get HP is why I'm getting myself in trouble and I am trying to find an easy way out or am hoping it's not as bad as you tell me it could be, Monday I'm going to look at a 350, I think that was one of the suggestions that was given to me in the first place. I'll start slow and easy. But also I do want you to know that all you say is appreciated and sometimes I am a bit pigheaded, it comes from people telling me what won't work on my HD and I make it work, like the carb off of a cushman because it's a 42mm and the biggest they say will work on my bike is a 38mm. Thanks again all, from the Sparky troll
Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #30
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyall View Post
I see, it's been to long since I've done any power rebuilds, just a rebuild is nothing but trying to get HP is why I'm getting myself in trouble and I am trying to find an easy way out or am hoping it's not as bad as you tell me it could be, Monday I'm going to look at a 350, I think that was one of the suggestions that was given to me in the first place. I'll start slow and easy. But also I do want you to know that all you say is appreciated and sometimes I am a bit pigheaded, it comes from people telling me what won't work on my HD and I make it work, like the carb off of a cushman because it's a 42mm and the biggest they say will work on my bike is a 38mm. Thanks again all, from the Sparky troll
Sparky,
I know well what you're saying. I've done what you doing but in different ways. I used to be an avid salt water fish enthusiast. I kept fish that people said there was no way they could be kept. I not only kept them but kept them with other species that they weren't supposed to be able to be kept with. These were expensive fish some of which were in the $500.00 range. My smallest tank was 125 gallons. I did find at an expense some were not compatible with others. I still tried the "You can't do that" things also. I was such a good customer one Christmas the store owner gave me two Leopard sharks.. They were $250.00 each.
You're on one of the best automotive sites on the Web! Bar none. We strive to help anyone with problems with their vehicle/s. We get satisfaction from doing so. So, Please don't let me run you off, These are great guys with great knowledge. When we don't have an answer, we will find it for you.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote