Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 07-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
GASoline71 is on a distinguished road
Re: rivet

It's possible you have a lifter eating away your camshaft. Look to see if there is any metal in the oil. It will look like fine glitter...

Gary
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

sparkyall is on a distinguished road

there's fine glitter (and sludge) but I just put in a new cam and lifters and I never had the pan off before. I have the intake off again so tell me ow can I tell if a lifter is bad? I couldn't adjust the noise out of the right rear bank so I'm not sure if one, or two or none of the lifters were shot
sparkyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

If you adjust the lifeters. then have to adjust them again, and then have to adjust them again a short time later... you have either a lifter eating into the cam lobe... or it's possible the press in rocker stud could be pulling out.

Put a straight edge across the tops of the rocker studs to see if they are all flush with each other.

But if you already have a lot of "glitter" in your oil... it's possible its a lifter or 2 eating away at the cam. You'll know when you pull your lifters out.

Gary
Old 07-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

all looks good but I'm changing all the lifters and pushrods. I was told I'm suppose to change the cam when I change the lifters but I've never had to do that in the past when a lifter was collapsed. So it may be a 350 for me if things don't work. There is a nice 350 on craigslist the next town over that puts out 400hp but it would cost me more than my truck is worth
Old 07-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #15
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Depends on if the cam lobe is screwed up. If you put new lifters on a cam with really worn lobes it will just tear up your new lifters. Same goes that you shouldn't use old lifters on a new cam.

Proceed with caution.

Gary
Old 07-04-2015, 04:07 AM   #16
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

The guy's not listening, And, he's not answering questions that are being asked.
Good possibility he's a Troll?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

LOL...

A lot of people refuse to believe that it's not like it was 25 years ago. Back when you could almost switch cams and lifters willy-nilly without a thought as to what went where. It was still recommended to keep all lifters with the cam they came from. But not many of us did.

I have used mismatched cams and lifters many times back in the day. But in this day and age of the oils being what they are and flat tappet cams eating themselves even after proper break in procedures done... it's just not worth it to chance it.

If an engine is cranked a lot before it fires and comes to life before the cam break in process is done, it CAN lead to catastrophic failure. I've seen it. It is imperative that the engine fire to life almost immediately upon the initial cranking. If a cam and lifter start to eat each other, it's ugly... the engine has to be completely torn down and cleaned out of all the fine metal particles. Bearings get trashed, oil pumps trashed, cranks get ruined, and rods can get banged up. It's not something to be taken lightly.

But if someone wants to proceed with glitter in the oil and use mismatched lifters and cams... that's their gig. :)

Gary
Old 07-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

Thanks Gary, and yes I did that 25 years ago and this is an 84 chevy, what I can see so far is that the rivet has a shiny side of the head and there is some shiny oil back where the noise has been, I believe that this has gotten the metal into the lifter and it's not pumping up I also believe that this area didn't get any oil for a short enough time to do lifter damage, I have the same lift on all lobes of the cam by measuring from the lifter hole, I will run my camera on them soon for the final inspection. This is a great camera that I suggest people buy, it's only about $20 on Ebay and it hooks up to you PC so your laptop gives you a bigger picture and you can take snapshots with it.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:26 AM   #19
sparkyall
Up And Coming Member

this is the partial contents of my oil pan, the small parts are the shattered oil shaft collar and I believe a small piece clogged the passage to the lifters and a couple of them ate themselves from the inside since the cam seems great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 002.jpg (41.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
GASoline71
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

What did the tappets on your lifters look like?

Gary