Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
boycefromdallas

boycefromdallas is on a distinguished road
how to mate a manual transmission from v6 to an LS V8

Hello,
I am doing a motor tranny swap and the average cost of a T-56 is out of my budget considering they are around $2500. Determined to get this project rolling, so trying to find out if info from a somewhat reliable source, I've heard is true and that is :
by using a manual transmission (5 speed from a Chevy v6 Camaro) for example all I have to do is use the bell housing from a Chevy Astro van or Chevy s10 pickup does anybody know or have experience with this actually working?
I am using the engine from a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4WD . Its the LS based v8 aka - L93. Thanks for any feedback
boycefromdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: how to mate a manual transmission from v6 to an LS V8

I'm certainly no expert, but I've been lead to believe that transmissions from 6 cylinder cars are too weak to hold up to horsepower and torque of LS motors. Carefully research this before you go investing money.............
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: how to mate a manual transmission from v6 to an LS V8

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Bill's right. You'd have to drive it like a Baby. You wouldn't want to bust the gears when at high RPM of the Engine. Then you may hurt the engine due to over-revving.

Good luck with your project.. If you get a chance, post some pictures.

Ron From Nevada.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Bad Idea

Welcome to the forum!

I would agree with the above comments. A 6 cylinder trans. simply isn't designed for that much HP. You'll also find that the gear ratio's from a V-6 trans. often aren't ideal for a V-8.

Check out this link: using a v6 5 speed on a 350 v8

"....... a T-56 is a good choice. A V8 T5 is a better choice than a 6-cyl T-5; but they're still EXTREMELTY fragile, if you have any power, and especially if you have any traction. I tore up my first 4 or 5 T-5s with the stock 305 in my car. It only got worse after I put a bigger motor in it (bigger than a 350, or than a 383 for that matter). A T-56 COMPLETELY cured that, I haven't tore it up even a single time yet."

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 05-08-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote