Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > General Discussion Board / Events And Activities > General Discussion-Off-topic Chat

General Discussion-Off-topic Chat a place to shoot the breeze and get to know each other.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Re: Your Avatar... Explain Yourself

Avatar: My current project vehicle '65 C10

Member Name: Lakeroadster.

Back in "the day" guys were modifying old roadsters to make speed runs on the dry lakes. They called these purpose built hot rods Lakes Roadsters. Here's the photo (circa 1953) I saw that was the inspiration that started my roadster build back in July 2000, a 26-27 roadster pickup on 32 rails. (Photo is from the book Dry Lakes and Drag Strips, The American Hot Rod, by Dean Batchelor
And here's an aged photo of my version of a Lakes Roadster, a 1927 vintage body and bed, on '32 rails:
The old roadster even got a bit of magazine coverage in 2006:
http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/50...600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/47...600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/50...600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 09-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Member Names and Avatar's.....Explain Yourself

That is a very cool ride! I figured the name had something to do with a lake and an old roadster, but didn't realize it was a designation for a vehicle.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road
Re: Your Avatar... Explain Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeroadster View Post
Rich,

You still got the First Gen. Camaro? What else you got in the garage we haven't seen yet?
Yes still have it, thats wifey`s, 149k miles survivor RS/SS, the only thing thats been done to it is front suspension rebuild and valve job. Needs new vaccum hoses for the headlites, they have rotted away literally fell off fittings....
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

Rich,

Is that a factory stripe on the side? I ask because it seems there were different variations of these.

My Camaro has had a repaint.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road

We bought the `69 in about `75, someone had hyper extended he right door damaged the door at the front edge, and when they repainted it they painted it Dover...originally was Fathom Green, not a good paint job....anyways after we had it for a while and working on it over time you could see the factory overspray from the hockey stripe in the body seams, off white, can`t tell, I still need to reskin the right door someday. It works fine, nothing tweaked except the inner section under the skin just a tad. Anyways wifey drove it happilly, this was our fith camaro, we also had a RS `67 350/powerglide, two `72 one RS/350/4 spd and one SS 396/4spd, one `71 396 4 spd, one other `69 427/4spd....we were buying like crazy when the first oil embargo hit...remember....`75/`76 gas went to 75 cents a gallon.....muscle cars were cheap we had four camaros at one time in 1986, when I started selling off the big blocks....wish I hadn`t til later on, but still did well....
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road

I love you, man!

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Az Geezer
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

My turn...........AZGeezer........well, I live in Arizona, and I'm 66 years old......I'm a Geezer.
My previous name, Busterwivell...........Wivell is my last name.........Buster.....well, that goes WAYYYY back. When I was divorcing my first wife, or she was divorcing me, she said, in front of my attorney, at the court house, "I'll tell you one thing, BUSTER, I'll see you bankrupt before this is over. (slightly vengeful, maybe). My attorney jumped in and said, no Ma'am,, that's why he hired me..........My attorney later related that story to Bonnie when we had a meeting over a custody issue. When we got our first computer, Bonnie set me up with a name, Busterwive, and said if your ex ever tries to find you on line, maybe she'll see the irony in the name.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Sport/Truck
Respected Member

My Mood:
Sport/Truck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
My turn...........AZGeezer........well, I live in Arizona, and I'm 66 years old......I'm a Geezer.
My previous name, Busterwivell...........Wivell is my last name.........Buster.....well, that goes WAYYYY back. When I was divorcing my first wife, or she was divorcing me, she said, in front of my attorney, at the court house, "I'll tell you one thing, BUSTER, I'll see you bankrupt before this is over. (slightly vengeful, maybe). My attorney jumped in and said, no Ma'am,, that's why he hired me..........My attorney later related that story to Bonnie when we had a meeting over a custody issue. When we got our first computer, Bonnie set me up with a name, Busterwive, and said if your ex ever tries to find you on line, maybe she'll see the irony in the name.
Cool, often wondered about your screen name.
Mine is nothing that cool......Just picked it off my SPID (z84 custom Sport Truck).
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, 383 stroker - original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads, 350 Trans all (matching #'s) , SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers w/ trickflow push rods. Spin Tech pro street mufflers with stainless steel 2.5 mandrel pipe with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
RNG
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
RNG is on a distinguished road

I'm bringing this to the top because we have quite a few new members.... and I guess if I'm bringing it to the top I should explain RNG...it's short for redneckgirl.... Anyone familiar with the Bellamy Brothers and thier music should get that one.

The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet....
Stephen King
RNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
GMCDAC
Respected Member
Posting Expert

GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I'm bringing this to the top because we have quite a few new members.... and I guess if I'm bringing it to the top I should explain RNG...it's short for redneckgirl.... Anyone familiar with the Bellamy Brothers and thier music should get that one.
Know the song well! Because of my age, hair and beard some of the guys at work refer to me by another Bellamy Brothers song, but I prefer to be described by an old Charlie Daniels song;-)=

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom bought in 1971 and drove until 2001
1972 GMC C2500 Wife and I bought in 1979 and still drivin it
1955 GMC 2nd 100 driver work in progress
2006 GMC Yukon Denali, my wife's ride
Rest in peace Mom, "Dolly" Crawford, 30 year GMC 4x4 driver!
7-15-23 to 5-18-09
GMCDAC is offline   Reply With Quote