Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Site Chit Chat and Announcements Board > Welcome Area

Welcome Area Say Hi and tell us a bit about you.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
kenmosher

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
New Member from Colorado

I just picked up this 1972 C30 (8 lug wheels) with a transplanted 454 in it.

NEAT truck ...

I learned to drive on a 1968 C10 with the 307 and 3 on the tree. Hot rodded it in high school and learned a lot about automotive stuff in general on it.

Owned a 1968 GMC with the 6 and 4 speed on the floor back in the 80s as a "beat around truck". Bought it for $200, did some basic mechanical stuff on it and figured I'd swap in a SBC at some point since the 6 had rod knock. Co-workers spray painted it flat black one day when I was in a meeting (it was far from a show truck!) :) From that day forward it was "the General" ... I put the take off tires from my Grand National on it at one point and it actually looked pretty darn tough!

The 6 never did die (although it was definitely a "mosquito fogger"). I drove the thing as my "back and forth to work and haul WAAAAY too much stuff on the weekends" truck for almost 8 years before I gave it to my brother ... who preceded to use it for almost 4 more years! By the time he DROVE it to the salvage yard, it had swiss cheese floor boards and the wiring shorted somewhere one day when he was driving it (I think the dimmer switch rusted all the way thru!) and smoked everything electrical in it.

SO ... anyway ... have always had a soft spot for these trucks and just got this beautiful example ... even though it's not a 1/2 ton.

I've been doing the typical "old car stuff" fixes (put new rotors and pads, greased all the ball joints, fixed some little loose things) but next things on the list are:
  • Remount the gas tank with a rear mount gas tank kit (I've got my shopping car full on LMC truck! :) )
  • Recalibrate the speedo (it's off by a good 8-10 MPH at speed). Thinking I can just get new driven gear at the trans?
  • Put an electric choke kit on the Edelbrock 1405 carb (it has that and a Performer manifold) ... obviously a later model BBC swapped in. Is there an easy to get to wire for IGN on under the hood (not the coil wire) for the choke? I'm thinking there's a splice going to the starter solenoid?
  • Eventually, either fix the stock A/C (no compressor) or I'm starting to think the Vintage Air kit is probably easier and more cost effective in the long run? Probably do that as next summer's project after I shake all the bugs out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pickup.jpg (147.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg pickupinterior.jpg (77.0 KB, 15 views)
kenmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
pxwolvie
Coordinator

My Mood:
pxwolvie is on a distinguished road
Re: New Member from Colorado

Hello and Welcome from Mississippi, Wow that's a good looking truck you got there! Are the rest of the stock a/c components still there, to me it would seem just as easy to work with what you got there than adding to it. Looking forward to seeing more of the truck when you can.
pxwolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Nevada

Very nice looking truck...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Az....nice truck!
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
OLD 9
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
OLD 9 is on a distinguished road

Welcome .......

Torque - it's a beautiful thing.
OLD 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Ragenrat
Administrator

My Mood:
Ragenrat is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: New Member from Colorado

Welcome from the Boss NICE!!! Truck
Hummmm a C30 wow never seen one like that before!!!
Welcome to the Board from Chicago.
RagenRat / Mark

SUPPORT THE BOARD
Ragenrat is offline   Reply With Quote