Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Paint & Body

Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
paint_four_life
V.I.P.

My Mood:
paint_four_life is on a distinguished road
if your looking to attempt some body work or you just need a lil advice

if your looking to attempt some body work or you just need a lil advice, i have been doing body work for the past five years.... i may not have been doing it for very long but i have gained alot of experiance in those five years, so plz feel free to ask me for some advice and i will try my best to answer it for you and if i can't im sure some one else on here can.
paint_four_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
Sport/Truck
Respected Member

My Mood:
Sport/Truck is on a distinguished road
Re: if your looking to attempt some body work or you just need a lil advice

I want to paint the fire wall to take care of the rust area (break fluid?).
I was originally going to paint the frame using rust bullet, but Iím thinking against it now. Too much detail in prepping everything to keep paint off things I donít want to paint IE break lines etc. The frame isnít bad anyway.
But the fire wall is something I want to take care of still. My original idea was to paint it back to its stock color. But now Iím thinking it going to look bad Ė New paint will be shiny and the old not so shiny. Iím thinking just using the rust bullet primer stuff and leave it at that. Any ideas? Iíve talked to people that seen bed liner material, and it looks like youíve tried to hide something. I tend to agree with that, and want something that looks clean.
Sorry I don't have a good picture of the rust area.

Thanks,
s/t
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine bay 008.jpg (60.2 KB, 30 views)
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, 383 stroker - original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads, 350 Trans all (matching #'s) , SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers w/ trickflow push rods. Spin Tech pro street mufflers with stainless steel 2.5 mandrel pipe with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
paint_four_life
V.I.P.

My Mood:

well on alot of gms they just paint the firewalls black, but it's usually a flat black or semi gloss so it wont look like it was super fresh and it wouldn't take anything away from the rest of the truck but if you just put a primer on it eventually that primer will stain and possible peel because primer is pores and it suck up anything that it comes in contact with so i would say spray some flat black or semi gloss on it and u will have less of a chance of having a problem later on

Last edited by paint_four_life; 09-23-2007 at 10:59 PM.
paint_four_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
Ragenrat
Administrator

My Mood:
Ragenrat is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: if your looking to attempt some body work or you just need a lil advice

i to have seen a chevelle of all cars outside very nice only to look under the hood and see bed liner. WTF Was my first reaction.
my second one was WTFDUDE you ruined the car for retail and resale.

So i guess my point is don't use bed liner in there..wipe it clean and spray some rubberized undercoating around the booster and master area. not a lot just covering up the bad paint marks.
don't like that strip it all down. contract steve to come down to shoot it. after u have it ready to go !!! i might even go

SUPPORT THE BOARD
Ragenrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
fanatic
Respected Member

My Mood:
fanatic is on a distinguished road

wow. Bed liner in a firewall? I put it in my wheel wells, but it prevents stone damage nicely :D

fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Sport/Truck
Respected Member

My Mood:

I'm thinking of using rust bullet on the fire wall. I need to re-read the specs and make sure it dosnt have to be top coated.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, 383 stroker - original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads, 350 Trans all (matching #'s) , SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers w/ trickflow push rods. Spin Tech pro street mufflers with stainless steel 2.5 mandrel pipe with X pipe.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
paint_four_life
V.I.P.

My Mood:

yea i don't know never used or heard of it for that fact.... is it a spray on or brush on?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Respected Member

My Mood:

It's both. google it it's pretty impressive.
s/t
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
paint_four_life
V.I.P.

My Mood:

yea that stuff looks good but if u ever decide to paint the firewall that stuffs a pain in the a** to get off... unless u use a sand blaster.... it doesn't feather out at all, trust me i know i had to paint a studabaker with por 15 all over the body of it the guy thought he was being smart but he really just f***ed up the whole car...wasn't very fun....and it doesn't look to good if it's brushed on becuase u can see all the brush strokes....so if u use it spray it on. it should have 2 different kinds of it a brush on and a spray on or they are one in the same.... and if u spray it on get a junk gun because there will be no saving the gun
Old 11-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
johnnybee

johnnybee is on a distinguished road

Two nastiest things, Foam in a can, and bed liner . Count on everything being disposable when you use it .
johnnybee is offline   Reply With Quote