Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1946 And Older Chevy/GMC Trucks > 1960-66 Chevy/GMC

Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #91
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Re: What did you work on today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Well, back on the wiring for the 56........too hot to work outside, so i turned on the AC in the shop and got busy. I was having a tough time trying to get the front light grommet thru the firewall. Asked for advice on tri-five, and two guys said they put the grommet in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to soften it up. Wow! Last weekend I fought that grommet for a couple of hours, yesterday, I took it out of the boiling water, and it was very soft and pliable. I pushed the harness plug in to the grommet, pushed the grommet in at the hole in the firewall and it popped in to place. Have all the wires now run to the places they belong, and will start connecting lights next weekend.
So to summarize, sometimes being in hot water is a good thing

Thanks for the tip Bill. Did the rubber seem to be ok once it cooled back down, not brittle or scuffs off black when rubbed?

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 06-16-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #92
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

nice tip. I've always fought that also. ;)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #93
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road

Cool, glad it all went well...!
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:55 AM   #94
Markeb01
Respected Member
Posting Expert

Markeb01 is on a distinguished road

Today I was taken back almost 50 years to Marine Corps boot camp, and reminded what an entire day of physical punishment and abuse feels like. Our back yard had about 20 yards of embedded river rock that needed to go someplace else to make room for more lawn and edge blocks. The rocks were stuck in mud, roofing felt, and weeds. We went to rent a Bobcat, and discovered a smaller piece of equipment called a Dingo (made by Toro). It’s a tracked machine with many accessories available, including a small bucket on the front. So it seems at least one of its functions is moving material from one place to another. Here’s what it looks like. Yes that’s me in my fancy duds providing ballast on the back!

For an old guy with bad knees and a rotten back, it appears the primary function is to injure the operator! Holy crap this thing is rough!! As it bounces over rough surfaces the standing platform slams into the ground sending shock waves through the spine. At the other end of the cycle, it can easily send the operator flying through the air if not holding on firmly. The standing platform pivots (for clearing rocks and debris), making it easy to fall off for first timers. When running on smooth surfaces, the cleat tracks cause it to vibrate so violently it shakes your brain into stupidity! After the first minute of operation, I realized I’d never survive the experience without a back support and braces on both knees.

On the other hand, I can’t remember when I’ve had so much fun. I love working outdoors, but anything that requires bending and stooping is out of the question, so I don’t get to do much of it anymore. We finished the day having relocated about 75% of the rocks. Tomorrow should be fun too, completing the rock removal, pulling a couple of tree stumps, and grading the driveway.

While we were out we also picked up 5 gallons of white paint so I can finally get the rest of the garage painted once the yard stuff is done. Life is good!
Markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #95
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

I Dibs Seconds.. That thing is great.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #96
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
The Dingo's ate my baby..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTIGXvc88Y
Sorry...

We rented one of those about 20 years ago to drill about a hundred fence post holes around our property back in Ohio. They are awesome.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #97
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road

Way cool Mark, I`ll have to remember that....! Take it easy thou....I know how you feel....!
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #98
Markeb01
Respected Member
Posting Expert

Markeb01 is on a distinguished road

Yesterday was a tough day. I finished taping and mudding the ceiling, but my left knee failed completely and it took a 3rd pain pill before I could finally get to sleep at 3:30 this morning. Once back on my feet around noon, it was obvious I wouldn’t be doing anymore ladder work today, so my lovely bride stepped in and painted all the detail stuff like the gas pipe, around the lights, and ceiling brackets while I painted the main ceiling surface with a long handled roller.

We finally hit the milestone of having the ceiling all in one color with all the tape joints in one piece this afternoon! There are at least 4-6 coats of “ceiling paint” on it now, but it’s going to need a final coat of something better to hide all the tape joints. That will have to wait until my knees grow back so it could be a few weeks before any further progress.

In the meantime, here are a few before (before we even bought the house) photos, and some relatively similar shots taken this afternoon. When we purchased the house, there was only one electrical receptacle in the garage. It can be seen at the far left of the snow shovel hanging to the left of the small door. It was also on a main line connected to a GFI in the front bathroom. The GFI was old and tired, and even plugging in a hand drill would pop the GFI and shut down circuits all over the house. It was ridiculous. To resolve the problem the GFI was replaced, and I swapped out a several 110v circuit breakers for half height breakers and ran multiple 110v lines to different rooms (including the garage) along with a 220v circuit for the compressor. I’m glad to have this completed far enough to take a break for a while:

Markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #99
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Grandson's been out for the past few days. We been target shooting, Coyote hunting, Fishing etc. Just having a great time. He has to go home tomorrow..

“Wow what a ride”
Old 07-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #100
Woogeroo
Up And Coming Member

My Mood:
Woogeroo is on a distinguished road

on my '65 chevy C10 :

Last week I finally swapped on some OEM used wiper arms I've had for ages...

The arms that were on there when I bought it are a little different, but I figured I'd wear the last set of blades out before I swapped 'em.

This set of arms seems a lot tighter against the glass... we shall see.

Also, the stop light switch at the top of the brake pedal was a little loose and one of the connecter plugs had come off a bit, so my tail lights would come on for a moment, then go out... consistently. Very odd. I wiggled the switch speed nuts back snug and took the wires on/off and it is good to go for now.

old trucks are fun.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote