Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1967-72 Chevy/GMC

Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Re: Brake lines have to go ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgord51 View Post
UPDATE on the 57 its Swiss Cheese, I love Swiss Cheese but Not on Metal LOL
Bummer dude.. seems par for the course these days.

John
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:57 AM   #12
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
mjgord51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeroadster View Post
Bummer dude.. seems par for the course these days.

John
Yeah even my 68 has some Swiss Cheese, just under the high beam light switch and as well for the passengers side in same area. Also at drivers side weather stripping mounting at the bottom door kick area. O well most of us has to eat a little cheese every once in a while right LOL

B. Swallow Pride and get Answers Needed

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

sounds like you are way ahead on the build by keeping your truck.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
sounds like you are way ahead on the build by keeping your truck.
Holy 57 swiss cheese truck "Batman", Yep I am way ahead on that deal. The Picture that he posted didn't show any body rot, I just happened to run across another posting on the same truck elsewhere. That posting of his truck showed just about every panel having swiss cheese holes everywhere. I am glade I still know how to surf (the internet)...

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want
Old 10-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

My dad bought a 1972 C20 brand new. I rode home from the dealership with him. A hugger orange and white longbed, 350 4 bolt main with the granny gear 4 speed manual transmission. I learned to drive in the truck.

By the late 70's it was no longer safe to drive... The cab and bed were rusted to oblivion. Grandpa used it as a farm truck.

By 1981 the rear trailing arms rusted such that they buckled.

Ohio and their road salt.... go figure.

John
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:00 AM   #16
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeroadster View Post
My dad bought a 1972 C20 brand new. I rode home from the dealership with him. A hugger orange and white longbed, 350 4 bolt main with the granny gear 4 speed manual transmission. I learned to drive in the truck.

By the late 70's it was no longer safe to drive... The cab and bed were rusted to oblivion. Grandpa used it as a farm truck.

By 1981 the rear trailing arms rusted such that they buckled.

Ohio and their road salt.... go figure.

John
Salting the roads does play havoc on any vehicles under carriage. I am glade I live in Calif where they Don't use salt. My Truck was made at the Fremont Assembly Plant here in California and spending its hole life here, that being said my truck does have some rot in the usual spots rockers and than some. Go figure!

Last edited by mjgord51; 11-01-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Even cars and trucks that spend their whole life in California or Arizona will have some rust. The good news is that it usually isn't as bad as the rust issues back east. Also, lots of cars with California or Arizona didn't spent their whole lives there.
Leaves and dirt still get to the bottom of the fenders, and rot out, bottoms of doors sometimes. My Chevelle rusted out at the bottom of the back window, and rotted the trunk floor. Had to replace 2/3 of the trunk floor and the panel from the back of the back window to the trunk lid. I bought that car from the original owner over 20 years ago, and he lived on Tucson his whole life.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #18
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Even cars and trucks that spend their whole life in California or Arizona will have some rust. The good news is that it usually isn't as bad as the rust issues back east. Also, lots of cars with California or Arizona didn't spent their whole lives there.
Leaves and dirt still get to the bottom of the fenders, and rot out, bottoms of doors sometimes. My Chevelle rusted out at the bottom of the back window, and rotted the trunk floor. Had to replace 2/3 of the trunk floor and the panel from the back of the back window to the trunk lid. I bought that car from the original owner over 20 years ago, and he lived on Tucson his whole life.
Yeah sometimes it doesn't mater where you live Body Rot seams to follow some cars around. Go figure!

I think most cars are made better than before but with that said they do have a Hole Lot of Plastic too them now days, plastic doesn't rust it just eventually Crumbles away. Bummer

Old 11-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #19
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Bill/Others, Update on POL now they want some more pictures of the back end of the "C" channel frame where the Hitch is mounted to I guess see how I installed the Hitch too compare it to ? what ever. I get the impression they think I have installed it wrong. They also have ask me what year the truck is, I told them 68 C10 FS LB w/coils, I also told them I will send them pictures of my VIN & Frame numbers their response was that's not necessary, I sent them anyway. I don't know why that they don't just come out and say they made a mistake in there wordings of the Instructions #'s 1-9. Look at what # 2 says about using the original frame holes at the rear of frame. It also says in #3 to attach the 2 rear mounts but Nothing about any drilling yet, I guess this means there is already 2 holes there to mount them. In #5 is the first and only mention too drilling.

At this time I am convinced this Hitch is for a Short Bed Truck and Not for a Long Bed truck like mine.

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is there Instruction sheet below (1st & 2nd pic's), taken by my Camera from computer screen. I also added more pic's for you all to Compare a short WB (3rd pic) and mine a long WB truck (4th & 5th pic). CAN YOU SEE WHY IT DON'T FIT MY TRUCK and how far away the 5/8's lower bolt is from the end of the frame on mine too the SWB frame mounting. Hmmm

If I re drill the holes and move it back closer to the end of the frame It can only be moved back less than 3" because of the back bumper brackets would get in the way if any more then that. And then if moved I have un-wanted holes (6) to weld up too get strength back in the rear frame, There words are One Size fits All SWB,LWB,Coil Trucks only. By the way any & all Restoration Catalogs show the rear bumper brackets for all 67-72 Stepside or Fleetside 2WD trucks, look carefully at the SWB hitch mounted where would it mount to being the top hole for the bracket almost is covered & wouldn't be able to use that hole to mount the bracket. I REALLY THINK THE HITCH ISN'T FOR ETHER TRUCK USING AN ORIGINAL BUMPER & BRACKETS What do any of you think ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hidden Tow Hitch.jpg (92.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Instructions.jpg (93.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Hitch SWB.jpg (27.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Hitch 010.jpg (80.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Hitch 009.jpg (91.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mjgord51; 11-05-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #20
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

When did you send them the pictures they wanted? Let us all know what and when they make this right.