Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1967-72 Chevy/GMC

Old 08-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
laketboy

laketboy is on a distinguished road
67 C10 Lowering + Wheel/Tire Sizes and Other Recommendations

New to the C10 forums(s). Seems to be no shortage of interest in the 67-72 C10 with 3-4 forums on the Internet.
My son has recently acquired a clean straight 1967 C10 long bed (and purchased a used/running LS engine and trans for it. A local guy who is very experienced with C10's has chopped the frame and bed to convert to short bed. As expected, I've spent a couple of hours searching the 3 major C10 forums and learned a lot, but would like some suggestions in the area of suspension drop, ride height, wheel and tire sizes and parts and or kits that get the job done on a modest beginner budget (read: not the cheapest way to go, not the BEST/MOST expensive).
Basics: He does NOT want the LOWEST drop possible. He wants to actually use the truck occasionally to haul basic stuff. Seems what I've read tells me the stock rear is 2" higher than front and most popular drops are front/rear drops of 2/4", 3/5" and 4/6" to achieve "level" truck". He seems to be aiming at the 3/5" drop based on recommendations by guy doing some of the work. Plans are to go with 5 lug on all 4 and disc brakes (at least up front). Interest in wheel diameters between 17" and 20" (old school dad prefers 17-18, but has 20" on new 2016 Silverado levelled with 1.75" front rise using Bilstein adjustable to level)
All this said, what are some suggestions of HOW to do this? 2/4" drop vs 3/5" drop pros/cons? Parts and work required for either? What (max) wheel and tire size combos work to fill wheel wells for both 2/4" and 3/5" drops without rubbing issues?
I've read very BUDGET ways to do things and EXPENSIVE (BEST?) ways to do all this. I don't think airbags are in the budget at this time, BUT if able to acquire good USED (craigslist and eBay are great), maybe.
BTW, I've found suppliers with seemingly top notch ($$$) products.

If interested in those vendors, please just shoot me a P.M.

Summary
2/4" vs 3/5" drop parts required
Max Wheel/Tire sizes for either 2/4 and 3/5 drop
Disc brake recommendations
Steering component change recommendations
LS engine/trans mount recommendations

Thanks in advance for your recommendations based on experiences
laketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: 67 C10 Lowering + Wheel/Tire Sizes and Other Recommendations

I lowered my 70 C-10 with bags. I've found bags are the way to go with what you want to do. I welded my tailgate shut so more pickup usage.

Now even on bagging it there's so many options, Bag sizes, Air line size kind of goes with how you're going to use your pickup. Valve sizes are another factor. They will deliver the air from a storage tank as slow or as much as you want.
I've found leaks a problem here. New everything, Set up the way a friend who does bagged work for a living. There are new (New to me since I built mine) fittings That are better but more expensive.
My truck is down and has been for a few years. It was/is a Pops Son project. The boy joined the Army just over 4 years ago and has decided to work his way up into the Military. He's going to Ranger School this coming January. If he gets it that will lock his time up so we can't work on it together any longer as it has been for the 4+. AS far as tires and wheels go I'm still using the 15". I have some 17" and 18' that will be going on it some time this fall. I expect this winter will make a decision rather to keep it or part it out or sell as a project?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Ragenrat
Administrator

My Mood:
Ragenrat is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: 67 C10 Lowering + Wheel/Tire Sizes and Other Recommendations

Edited vendor list as those vendors don't pay to advertise on this site.
Sorry
Mark / RagenRat
Ragenrat is offline   Reply With Quote