Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1946 And Older Chevy/GMC Trucks > 1960-66 Chevy/GMC

Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Markeb01
Respected Member
Posting Expert

Markeb01 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1960 GMC Build

Thanks for the greetings and comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago5 View Post
Driving this thing 70 plus miles a day, living on a rock road, that's the new definition of "Daily Driver"!
That was one of the disadvantages about living on 9 acres in a forest. The main road to the highway was ½ mile of broken rock, not gravel. It was a former railroad grade with a multitude of sharp jagged rocks. We had many people stop by over the years asking to borrow a jack after they popped their tires on the roadbed. It wasn’t any friendlier to paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxwolvie View Post
so with that 4:10 and the 4 speed what kinda gas milage were you getting? Oh yeah what happened to the first hood?
When I was commuting long distance the truck had a 350 Turbo Hydro and 3.08 rear axle. I got around 16-18 or maybe a little better because almost all the driving was done at 50 mph with very few stops. The 4 speed and rear gear changed after I relocated a mile and a half from work. It now gets around 16+, mainly because this is a local hobby car that rarely sees the freeway. If I drove it 70 on the freeway all day it would probably be in the single digits!

As for the hood, somewhat visible in the first picture is a mismatch on the paint between the front clip and the rest of the truck. The original owner hit a deer back when the truck was nearly new. The grille support was replaced, but the bumper, grille, and hood were all repaired. The hood didn’t turn out so good. It had heat spots all over the passenger side underneath where they tried to shrink out the damage, but the passenger side hump was at least ½” higher than the driver side. It looked fine in faded yellow but would have looked crappy in gloss black. I painted it Rustoleum flat enamel until I could find a replacement. After nearly 10 years of searching I finally located a rust free 62-66 Chevy version. The original hood was donated to a local GMC restorer. Being rust free, it was like brand new compared to the dented and severely rusted hood he started with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGGED70C-10 View Post
Welcome aboard!
I like how you stayed "to the era" with the diamond tucked.. And Sun tach...Nice truck!
I reached driving age in 1964 and never tired of the stuff that was popular during that period, so I did the best I could to incorporate all those things I couldn’t afford in my youth. Here’s an earlier shot showing all the tufting I’ve done so far, the rear panel behind the seats, door and kick panels, and most of the right 2/3rds of the firewall:

My initial plan was to tuft the original bench seat as well, but I have chronic back trouble and can’t drive the truck without the buckets for support. They may get tufted at some point, but tufted buckets just don’t have the same wow factor (for me at least) as an original bench seat. I may also do a headliner some day, but haven’t yet figured out an acceptable means to attach one.

The tach is actually made up of an NOS Sun long cup and mounting bracket, along with the tach head from a new retro FZ88R. I also added the Bakelite adjuster button off an original FZ88 just because that was always my favorite style of tach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago5 View Post
I keep looking at the interior on this truck. It makes me want to drive it. There are so many mods but it's done tastefully and organized. Love it. What are the two chrome "dome" type houses under the turn signal lights?
I have to admit its a blast to drive. Everything is right where it should be, there's lots of room to feel comfortable, its much more precise than driving a Honda CRV, and passing anything on a two lane road is no problem. Those chrome domes are a pair of Moon bullets I had hanging around for a number of years from some other incompleted project. They are purely cosmetic. Previously I had gauges mounted in those locations:

I searched nearly 10 years for one of the rare 1962 era Moon style 3 gauge panels with the external lights (just because I thought they were cool looking when new). After finding a suitable candidate on Ebay, two of the gauges were relocated to the underdash panel.

This left two gaping holes in the instrument panel. My first thought was to fabricate a new panel, but on further reflection I thought a pair of bullets would add more style than more flat sheet metal. So far I’m still pleased with how they look, because they seem to compliment all the other shiny stuff like the spotlight handles, dash knobs, and e-brake handle.

Markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

What area of Spokane are you? Looks like it could be Mt. Spokane area.

That was my Stomping area for a few years was raised out in Mica until we moved to Montana when I was in Jr. High.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

I have an original Maltese cross round shifter knob that I have been able to save since 1967 or 8? very period correct.. I like period correct hotrod stuff.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Markeb01
Respected Member
Posting Expert

Quote:
What area of Spokane are you? Looks like it could be Mt. Spokane area.

That was my Stomping area for a few years was raised out in Mica until we moved to Montana when I was in Jr. High.
We're currently in the Valley near Sullivan. Previously we lived on 9 acres in North Idaho 4 miles above Athol heading towards Sandpoint. After nine years of winter commutes and watching the number of fatality markers go beyond 25, I finally had enough. I loved the privacy out in the country and being able to fire weapons off our front porch, but the drive, vehicle wear and cost, and broken windshields, eventually burned me out.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Markeb01
Respected Member
Posting Expert

Quote:
I have an original Maltese cross round shifter knob that I have been able to save since 1967 or 8? very period correct.. I like period correct hotrod stuff.
Good save, between my son and I we have almost all the gearshift knobs I collected since around 1970. Everything from plastic Hurst T handles, Cal Custom Chrome shifter balls and T handles with the light up buttons, white knobs, colored knobs and even a couple of big metalflake Peterbilt knobs. I have a hard time getting rid of any of that stuff. You just never know when you might need it!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Sport/Truck
Respected Member

My Mood:
Sport/Truck is on a distinguished road

Sweet truck, I like the wrinkle paint on the firewall!
Welcome form New Mexico!
Dean
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, 383 stroker - original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads, 350 Trans all (matching #'s) , SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers w/ trickflow push rods. Spin Tech pro street mufflers with stainless steel 2.5 mandrel pipe with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road

Yep. The chrome domes are just the right touch. What steering column do you have in there?

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Markeb01
Respected Member
Posting Expert

It's an aftermarket column from Butch's Rod Shop before they went out of business long ago. This one tilts (which I rarely use), but the thing I haven't liked about it most is the length of the bell from the steering wheel to the dash. It's longer than most and placed the steering wheel too close to my chest. I finally got so annoyed with it I pulled it out and trimmed away the top of the bell where it bumped up against the dash. Now it form fits the dash and allowed moving the column forward about 1.5", providing a much more comfortable driving position.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeb01 View Post
We're currently in the Valley near Sullivan. Previously we lived on 9 acres in North Idaho 4 miles above Athol heading towards Sandpoint. After nine years of winter commutes and watching the number of fatality markers go beyond 25, I finally had enough. I loved the privacy out in the country and being able to fire weapons off our front porch, but the drive, vehicle wear and cost, and broken windshields, eventually burned me out.
In your travels up outside of Athol, did you ever get to meet a guy named Ozzie Wiggs? He was in Post Falls.

You must have been near that little zoo up there..(Around the little Airport if I remember right) were you around there when the Lion got out and was laying in the Road? That Lion used to belong to my Broter-in-law.. I had him more then he did though.. used to take him around to grade schools and park festivities.

“Wow what a ride”
Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That Lion used to belong to my Brother-in-law.. I had him more then he did though.. used to take him around to grade schools and park festivities.
Hmmm, Lions and little kids. Holy Schnikeys! Did you take the lion to the grade schools for lunch?

Speaking of big cats, here is a link to a photo of a Cougar that was shot locally this week. Colorado Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeb01 View Post
It's an aftermarket column from Butch's Rod Shop before they went out of business long ago.
Butch's Rod Shop? Was that a local place Mark or the one that used to be in Dayton Ohio? I bought the front suspension for my Model A from Butch's Rod Shop.

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 01-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote