Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1946 And Older Chevy/GMC Trucks > 1960-66 Chevy/GMC

Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Re: Pics of my`64 Chevy Pickup

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who did a 49-52 tank in a '65 C10, heck he even mad some CAD drawings and wrote a "how to" thread... just in case you have any questions... :ohyes:

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh.../post/new/#NEW

Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Rich 5150 69 is on a distinguished road

Thanks again John, after we had searched all the alternatives, meaning lower cost and ease of install and compatabity thats the route I`ll take, the other two alternates will work but can`t use the stock gauge, meaning the `70 cuda/Challenger that will fit fine but is 240 ohmns and the mustang tank which is only 16 gallons and 99 ohmn, so I don`t care to use a aftermarket gauge, my next question when you built the top rails for the tank..are they basicly replacing the cross sills in your case....?
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
, my next question when you built the top rails for the tank..are they basicly replacing the cross sills in your case....?:grin
Rich... you considered using a Mopar or a Ford tank in your classic Chevy! Just kidding.

The upper supports don't replace the cross sills...

The supports for the tank need to run front to back, not side to side (like bed cross sills) since the top of the tank is ribbed in that direction.

On my truck I raised the top of the tank above the frame by 2" because I didn't want the tank visible from the back of the truck (I notched the cross sill where it goes over the tank).

But the biggest reason I welded the upper supports to the frame was so the tank would be frame mounted instead of bed rail mounted, thus allowing the bed to be removed without any effect on the gas tank.

Another thing to note: The Bob Drake tank has a welded in filler neck. The "Tanks, Inc." 49-52 has a bolt on inlet that is short. Unless you cut "Bob's" inlet down real short you won't be able to install the tank from under the truck.

John

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 02-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

I know about the bottom drop, I`m planning on cutting the tube at the tank and the bead roll it both ends, I want the extra capacity...!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Agreed, a couple more gallons is a good thing. FYI: Tanks also carries the extra capacity tank, with the bolted filler neck, for $200.00. Maybe it's just me but from the photo's the Bob Drake tank seems to have a lot of oil canning around the sending unit opening, which the Tanks doesn't. Hard to tell from photos though.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd249.htm

Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
Rich 5150 69
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Ok... they are now offering it, that helps alot......I`m sure they are getting from the same manufacture....sense you can get in plain and stainless already set up for F.I.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #27
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road

Very nicely done. I seriously considered the tank relocation kit for my '72. When I replace the wood bed and wheel housing I will consider it again. Good job on this.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

I've got a relocated tank in my 71. it's a 21 gallon tank, and with the BB, I need every gallon it'll hold. my filler is mounted at the base of the wheel housing.
Bill
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
Chicago5
Respected Member
B.E.

Chicago5 is on a distinguished road

Did you do the change, Bill? I assumed there was the one option for the filler, which is just the bottom of the bed near the rear left side. Don't know where else I'd put I guess.

Traumatic Brain Injury; It's the last thing on your mind until it's the only thing.

"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone". Ken Chlouber. Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100
Chicago5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

You can route the filler anywhere you want, within reason. It's a small, tight area and you don't want to pinch the hose over, or you'll have real issues filling. I went to a marine supply store, looked in their catalog, and picked a filler that had an angle to it, so when mounted in the wheel well, it pointed straight down. I also made sure to put two vents in the tank (don't close one off), so I can fill it on the fast switch on the pump nozzle, instead of the slow side. There's been pictures of the install on here, Ron did them for me, but I can't find them.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote