Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
mjgord51 is on a distinguished road
Another 700R4/4L60 lockup ?'s

I'll start here first, the #'s on it are 2FTM098H & casting #'s 8676358 along with MD8, I have been told its a 1992 trans.

My questions are all about the Lockup part of it. What do I need to have the lockup feature work for me. Its in my 68 C10 SBC truck and the truck has No computer that controls anything. Does this trans need any electronics or solenoids to work the OD lockup? How would one (me) hookup or connect whats needed to its lockup feature? I don't know anything about the trans it was in the truck when bought. Here's where I am still confused on this, I have read that you can hookup a pull switch to lock it in gears but also have read that the trans locks up by its self. Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Marvin

B. Swallow Pride and get Answers Needed

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: Another 700R4/4L60 lockup ?'s

Do you have a wire hooked up from the trans to......fuse panel? Mine does.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Do you have a wire hooked up from the trans to......fuse panel? Mine does.
Bill there is No Wires coming from the trans. just the/a TV cable. On the drivers side just behind the linkage shaft coming out there is some kind of a plug in device but Nothing hooked or plugged in there.

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want
Old 01-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

Marvin, I'm by no means a transmission expert. I did not build or install the 700 in my truck, but I know it has a wire from the trans to the fuse panel, and I believe I was told it was to control lockup. If you want pictures, I can put it on my lift and get you some, and the next time I talk to my transmission friend, I'll ask about it.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Marvin, I'm by no means a transmission expert. I did not build or install the 700 in my truck, but I know it has a wire from the trans to the fuse panel, and I believe I was told it was to control lockup. If you want pictures, I can put it on my lift and get you some, and the next time I talk to my transmission friend, I'll ask about it.
Bill,sure pictures would be great and all the info you can get from them the better. thanks, Marvin

Old 01-06-2018, 01:40 AM   #6
Barn Owl
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Barn Owl is on a distinguished road

Marvin there are different torque converters for that tranny. If you have a lock up T.C. then it will have a wire that goes to the brake switch. so when you step on the brake on the freeway it will unlock the T.C.
I would check to see if my lock up was working and I would keep my foot on the gas while lightly depressing the brake. Not enough to slow the truck but enough to turn my brake lights on which would disengage the lock up. The engine would rev about 300 rpm's more until i took my foot off the brake and re engage the lock up.

Do not let other peoples opinion of you define who you are.

"When the whole world fits inside of your arms, do you really need to pay attention to the alarm?" Jack Johnson; Banana pancakes
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
Marvin there are different torque converters for that tranny. If you have a lock up T.C. then it will have a wire that goes to the brake switch. so when you step on the brake on the freeway it will unlock the T.C.
I would check to see if my lock up was working and I would keep my foot on the gas while lightly depressing the brake. Not enough to slow the truck but enough to turn my brake lights on which would disengage the lock up. The engine would rev about 300 rpm's more until i took my foot off the brake and re engage the lock up.
Mike I see you are kind of a Nite Owl (no pun intended) just like me LOL. I am just gathering info right now for later when I get back to fixin on my truck. Trans was already in Truck when bought so I have no idea in whats inside it. There is No wires coming from the trans now just an empty socket for the TCC. I have put two trips down to Palm Springs & back up to Yucca Valley and drove it around town for a total of 200 miles. It also had the TV cable hooked up with "bailing wire" to hook it up on the Holley Carb, that's been fixed and I adjusted the cable. Haven't had much driving time to tell whats whats with it yet but will have to get to it shortly needing it for the summer time.

PS, Truck isn't running now, cant test anything.

Last edited by mjgord51; 01-06-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #8
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Glad to see there's somebody alive in this joint LOL