Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 10-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
mjgord51 is on a distinguished road
GM's power Strg Pump R/B question

Hi there all, I am working on a pow strg pump for my 68 C10 and in cleaning all the parts I noticed the Flow Control Valve that at one end of it there looks like a filter type Screen that the nut looks like it is holding in this Screen.*~*~Here is my question does that screen and behind it/inside the Valve need to be cleaned real good or can good old compressed air work ok?, inside it is I think a spring that at this moment I have not a clue as what its function is, the little spring inside the Flow Control Valve?here is some pics of it. thanks in advance for any options. Marvin

PS, nothing was said in the instructions about cleaning it or how to clean it. For now I have it soaking in "PB" buster penetrating solution, in the morning I'll blow it out but will be waiting for someone that knows an answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pow strg pump 001.jpg (60.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg pow strg pump 002.jpg (60.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg pow strg pump 003.jpg (58.6 KB, 17 views)

B. Swallow Pride and get Answers Needed

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want

Last edited by mjgord51; 10-04-2017 at 10:28 PM.
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: GM's power Strg Pump R/B question

I don't know. but that thing looks awful clean to me the way it is. I wouldn't be afraid to use it the way it sits..........
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
I don't know. but that thing looks awful clean to me the way it is. I wouldn't be afraid to use it the way it sits..........
Bill & any one else, when I took the pump apart that was pretty much clean as the way you all see it. I am worried about the inside of it getting or being clean being it called a "Flow Control Valve" meaning it does some how control flow of fluid right? This valve is the second thing that the fluid comes in contact with when fluid flows through the Pressure Hose going inside pump (screwdriver pointing at its placement) and goes its way through the system. I just don't want to go through all the trouble of re/building the pump and find out the hard way the pump wont work properly as it should because this valve is clogged. I got it out from soaking from the PB cleaner & blew air through all holes but couldn't get air flow through the smaller two side holes and get air to flow through the screen at the bottom of it where the nut is, Hmmmm. I have to wait to tomorrow to ask my auto parts man if a new Flow Control Valve can be bought or not. The last pic shows how its positioning is in the pump. A clean valve is a happy valve LOL right guys & or gals.
Marvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pow strg pump 004.jpg (118.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pow strg pump 005.jpg (113.9 KB, 14 views)

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want

Last edited by mjgord51; 10-05-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
Bill I see what time you posted this and what I understand you should be working at 9:30 am. Are you playing Hookie LOL, Marvin

Old 10-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

Just loafin' at the office...........
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote