Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Engine & Drivetrain

Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
mjgord51 is on a distinguished road
327eng with 700R4 trans???'s

Here is what I am trying to accomplish, In my truck now is a good running 89-305 eng & 92-700R4 trans. Some time in the future I want to go with a 4 spd trans & leave the 305 eng for now, I have the correct Bell Housing & Cross member for the truck. Some where I read that the two eng's Cranks bolt patterns are different from one another also being I might have problems fitting a early flywheel to a later 305 eng. for the starter fitment and ring gear sizes?

I have a line on buying a early 327 complete for my 68 C10. I know it will work with a 3/4 spd trans mounting up to the Correct Bell Housing for the truck.
Will the 327 with its stock Crank bolt up to my 700R4, pretty sure the trans it self will mount to the eng but will the flex plate mount to the crank being the trans is a 1992 year?

Is the two cranks 327 vs 305 bolt patterns different from each other and or does someone make a Custom flex plate or Flywheel with a Custom bolt pattern too fit the mixed match combination?

I know most would suggest tossing the 305 and putting in a update eng or at least going with something with more b a ! ! s but the 305 is a good runner, hate to through away a good running eng just to be politically correct. Any help is most appreciative,

Marvin

B. Swallow Pride and get Answers Needed

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want
mjgord51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: 327eng with 700R4 trans???'s

I know there are 2 different sized flexplates, But I haven't heard that the bolt pattern is different to bolt them up.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
I know there are 2 different sized flexplates, But I haven't heard that the bolt pattern is different to bolt them up.
When I was a member of the dark side (67-72chevytrucks.com) I was reading something that was kinda just like what I am looking for. Pretty sure something was said regarding this same thing, just can't find it any more since I am no longer a member there. It was all about the fitments of flex plates & starters that were a problem with the marriages of different years of parts of engines, bell housings and most of all the 305 one piece rear main seal having something to do with it.

That's what I get for not writing that down for future reference. Below is My Files with all my notes I have collected, its getting now 10" wide. I hope Others will Chime in on this and get me an answer.

Marvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck Notes.jpg (101.2 KB, 13 views)

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want

Last edited by mjgord51; 11-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

There is a difference in flex plates, number of teeth (maybe outer diameter, where starter meets it), I've had both flex plates in the past............but the bolt pattern was the same. We had that problem when we installed a ZZ4 in a friend's 54 Chevy pickup.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Well the 327 turned out to be .030 over with the crank .010 over and newer 76cc heads with a Clay Smith Cam. It turned out to be a early 1962 block by the suffix code, those early blocks have thicker walls when boring them out and have better cooling abilities when bored. The seller said he had it balanced & blue printed 10 years ago but doesn't remember any specs on anything inside.

His selling story was it was pulled for a bad sound/knock in it but later found it to be a Clutch problem, but didn't return it to the car with a Clutch fix. Hummmmm!

With him telling that story I then ask him if the engine could be broken apart to check out the inside parts for any problems associated with engines sitting around that might accumulate water vapor inside and then it starts to rust.

His reply was that isn't going to happen. I told him have a nice day and hung up.