Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Tech Info & Tool Board > Tool Of The Week Forum

Tool Of The Week Forum Show off your great tool's here Ask questions about tool's here

Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
mjgord51 is on a distinguished road
Jeg's Mig 100 Gasless Welder Info please

I am thinking of buying this Gas Less 120v welder from Jeg's (Mig 100 DC Welder 110vac, #81540) and would like to get your opinions. It will be used for all of my patch panel work and what ever else it can be used for.

thanks, Marvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mig welder.jpg (64.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Mig welder 018.jpg (77.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Mig welder info.jpg (86.4 KB, 38 views)

B. Swallow Pride and get Answers Needed

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want

Last edited by mjgord51; 12-17-2017 at 07:12 PM.
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: Welder Info please

Never used a Mig without gas, don't know anything about them.
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
Re: Welder Info please

The difference I have found in the two Mig Welders are Mig Gas Welders use Gas to shield your weld while welding but on the other hand the Mig Gas Less Welders use a Carbon Steel "Flux Core" wire in stead of like the Gas Welders using the Solid Core wire.

Other forums say don't buy the Gas Less Welder because its much more messy than the Gas Welder, I guess maybe its a performance thing in the way each one gives in the welding itself?

I can't find any thicknesses of metal that this Gas Less Welder can Weld. Our Trucks 67-72 C10) have 16-18 gauge metal and all of the Re Pop patch panel metal is usually thinner like 18-20 gauge I think. So another question is can this Gas Less Welder weld the thinner gauge metals?

So Still Looking For Opinions On This Gas Less Welder

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want

Last edited by mjgord51; 12-17-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeg's Mig 100 Gasless Welder Info please

FWIW: I made my living writing welding procedures and I have used gas shielded MIG, GMAW, quite a bit. I was also an AWS Certified Welding Inspector.

Only reason I mention the above is to give you some validation to my thoughts.

For welding patch panels, using MIG, you want a machine that you can run shielding gas. You want to run a very small wire size also, like .020 MIG wire.

The issue is FCAW, flux core, is a hotter process.. and you want to minimize heat when welding sheet metal. It also doesn't like to be run out of the flat position. It's also a dirtier process and gives off quite a bit of smoke. It pretty much sucks on sheet metal, but it is a good process for heavier weldments, like frames and other projects that are 1/4" and greater in thickness.

You can weld through some rust and mill scale with FCAW. Everything has to be really clean when using MIG.

TIG is an awesome process too.. but it's more difficult to learn and the machines are even more pricey.

They actually taught monkeys how to MIG weld... but couldn't convince them to keep welding once they got burned by some splatter... no joke.

My small welder is a Lincoln SP-100.. and about 30 years old. It has worked flawlessly.

Buying new... I'd recommend something like this: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...xoC13YQAvD_BwE
but you would still need to buy or lease a gas bottle.

I'd also recommend an auto darkening helmet, like the Lincoln Viking.

____
John

John I am kinda new to texting or hunt N peck writing back n forth and don't quite understand the "acronyms being used here like yours (GMAW), (AWS), (FCAW) but FWIW & TIG I do know what they are. Just wondering if that welder using the .030-.035 wire can be adapted to run the smaller wire you suggested (.020). That welder has two settings hi and low so if the welder can use that .020 wire and set on low could it be used for the smaller gauge metals like the patch panels that are out there?

The machine says it can weld from 20 gauge up to 1/8" materials. I am just trying to not go to the expense of the shielding gas usage, that would take away from my budget. I am retired and on SS (Social Security) LOL and don't want to delete my budget faster then it is already. I need to be a cheep a $ $ as much as I can

Last edited by mjgord51; 12-19-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road

That proves it.......I'm a monkey!
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgord51 View Post
John I am kinda new to texting or hunt N peck writing back n forth and don't quite understand the "acronyms being used here like yours (GMAW), (AWS), (FCAW) but FWIW & TIG I do know what they are. Just wondering if that welder using the .030-.035 wire can be adapted to run the smaller wire you suggested (.020). That welder has two settings hi and low so if the welder can use that .020 wire and set on low could it be used for the smaller gauge metals like the patch panels that are out there?

The machine says it can weld from 20 gauge up to 1/4" materials. I am just trying to not go to the expense of the shielding gas usage, that would take away from my budget. I am retired and on SS (Social Security) LOL and don't want to delete my budget faster then it is already. I need to be a cheep a $ $ as much as I can
GMAW is Gas Metal Arc Welding... what folks tend to call Mig

FCAW is Flux Cored Arc Welding.... thats the machine the folks at Jegs are calling a Mig welder...

AWS is the American Welding Society

Flux core really sucks for sheet metal... just being honest. You won't be happy with that welder for installing patch panels.

FCAW Flux core wire is a tubular wire (hollow)... (think of a garden hose). The tube is the steel welding wire, and in the center is the flux. I don't think they make tubular flux core wire smaller than 0.030 so it's doubtful Jeg's sells 0.20 or 0.25 dia drive rollers for their welder.

With GMAW Mig wire it is a solid piece of welding wire.. no flux. The shielding is provided by an argon gas.. that's why you need a gas bottle.

Back when I was restoring my '72 Nova I needed to patch a rust hole in the trunk. I ran out of Argon gas and a buddy had a roll of FCAW flux core wire. I was able to weld in the patch panel... but it warped the panel and was really hard to keep the weld from blowing through the steel. The floor and the patch panel I mad was much thicker than a standard body patch panel.

I'd advise against the Jegs welder, for patch panels... sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Here's what the good folks at Lincoln have to say: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ed-detail.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img368.jpg (73.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg img369.jpg (69.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1972 Nova_Page_1.jpg (50.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 12-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
That proves it.......I'm a monkey!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4CrCTndkKc
Old 01-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Well long story short, I did buy the Mig 100 Flux cored welder and tried it out for size and IT is going back it s u c k s!

In the long run I am getting the Eastwood 110V 135A #12011 or Jegs p/n 352-12011 which is the Shielding Gas Welder with Solid & Flux Core Wire Compatibility along with can hookup the Tig Welding Cart for Alum..

And Yes I do now have to rent a bottle in the end, around $200 with fill. There goes my budget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eastwood Welder 135A.jpg (88.7 KB, 10 views)

Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #9
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road

There is no way whatsoever that I could argue or even give another opinion to either of the guys here. I did go a different route and bought two Harbor Freight welders. One for the thin stuff and one for heavier work.

I started welding in high school and have tinkered with it since. I have no certifications nore have i tested for any. Give me just about anything except structeral welding and i'm good, Structural "I won't do."

Edit: I have had the harbor Freight small one for plenty of years and it's never given me any problem It is made for Gas but I don't use it I use a gasless Lincoln wire.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”

Last edited by BAGGED70C-10; 01-16-2018 at 11:08 PM.
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #10
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGGED70C-10 View Post
There is no way whatsoever that I could argue or even give another opinion to either of the guys here. I did go a different route and bought two Harbor Freight welders. One for the thin stuff and one for heavier work.

I started welding in high school and have tinkered with it since. I have no certifications nore have i tested for any. Give me just about anything except structeral welding and i'm good, Structural "I won't do."

Edit: I have had the harbor Freight small one for plenty of years and it's never given me any problem It is made for Gas but I don't use it I use a gasless Lincoln wire.
Ron I also have some tools from H.F. that I use in my wood shop (in my garage) that I have had for about 15 to 20 yrs now, one is a 16" Drill Press 16 speed and a 14" Band Saw 4 speed still working to this day.

The Welder was something that I didn't want to go the cheep route on. It has a 3 year warranty that H.F. can't ever come close too.