Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Tech Board {CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL GROUPS WITH CURRENT THREADS} > Detailing

Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
RNG
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
RNG is on a distinguished road
Need Advice on Aluminum Wheel

I'm hoping someone has some advice... I recently got a set of aluminum slots and one has been repaired on the face.... It's not such a smooth repair... Can aluminum be sanded to be smoothed out? What would be the best way to make it smooth?

The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet....
Stephen King
RNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
BAGGED70C-10
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
BAGGED70C-10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Advice on Aluminum Wheel

Yes Jackie,
Aluminum can be sanded. That's how some Aluminum manufacturers get theirs done. I've done a few Manifolds And make them nice and pretty along with a couple of aluminum alternators.

You start with a sandpaper grit just a little less aggressive then the Scratches themselves, Then drop to a lighter grit then lighter etc.

Then you will have to use water proof Sandpaper and really get dirty. You will see the wheel really looking sharp, that's when it's time for light Steel wool and keeping with the Polish, With enough work they can come out looking like Chrome. Then finally finish it up with some "Tripoly" polish. you can work that all the way down to "Red Rouge" with a power ball polisher you can buy at just about any Auto store I did this once years ago and put the wheels on the rear of the car and had one of my Daughters keep the revs. To about 1000RPM.It worked pretty darned fast that way. LOL

But you're opening yourself with hours of work., I mean like HOURS..lol

I have a pool ball "8" I've had it for many a year. Much longer than some of the people on this board. It's been thrown in with nuts and screws, Thrown into boxes of junk. The other day I found it and had always wanted to shine it up to make a Shifter handle. I started it with 150 grit, then dropped down to 220 grit, followed by 380. Then grean scratch pad. Followed by 1500 grit grean scratch pad. Then, Take that same pad and put metal polish on it and worked it till there were no sand marks from the previously used grit size. This also must be done all the way from the beginning. It shines like a babies bottom now...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
“Wow what a ride”

Last edited by BAGGED70C-10; 02-13-2015 at 04:01 AM.
BAGGED70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road
Turtle & Mothers

If the repair sticks up quite a bit I'd suggest an angle grinder with a quick cut sanding disc to bring the repair near to flush with the surrounding metal. It's really tough to repair weld any metal such that there isn't a bit of undercut at the weld heat affected zone.

For restoring aluminum I've always used a buffing pad & Turtle Wax rubbing compound, then Turtle Wax polishing compound and then Mothers mag cleaner.

It is a dirty job but yields awesome results.

I bought a set of Cragar Mach 8 Aluminum slots back in the early 1980's that hadn't been polished for years. They looked like 320 grit sandpaper. When I was done you would have sworn they were chrome.

John

Last edited by Lakeroadster; 02-13-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
RNG
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
RNG is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Advice on Aluminum Wheel

Thanks guys!! I appreciate it! Guess I got some work cut out for me! I polished the TorqThrust IIs and they hadn't been polished in years, if ever. But this is a little more than a polish.... Thanks again guys!!

The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet....
Stephen King
RNG is offline   Reply With Quote