Go Back   ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory > Chevrolet Trucks 1947-Current Years > 1967-72 Chevy/GMC

Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:
mjgord51 is on a distinguished road
Brake lines have to go ?'s

I have a 68 C10 LB that I need to replace all the lines rubber & metal them being 49yrs old now. I have to get a Brake & Light Inspection for the Salvage Title to be complete, this is just one more thing that the inspector can't tag me on.

I know it would be easier to strip it down to the Bare Frame and replace all the break lines just for the easiness of nothing being in the way but is it possible to do it with the truck not being taken apart? I can get it jacked up enough too have enough working space and movement to do it so that might not be so bad. The one line I am thinking might give me the most trouble is the line under the engine and curving back towards the rear of the truck.

What do you all think? Is it doable or not that is the question. Marvin

B. Swallow Pride and get Answers Needed

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:
Az Geezer is on a distinguished road
Re: Brake lines have to go ?'s

I haven't done it with my truck, but I did it with my 56 210. It's possible, but a lot of effort. Took quite a while, but I'm glad I did it. You can do it, too, Marvin. Go for it!
Az Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Geezer View Post
I haven't done it with my truck, but I did it with my 56 210. It's possible, but a lot of effort. Took quite a while, but I'm glad I did it. You can do it, too, Marvin. Go for it!
Thanks for the words of Encouragement Buddy. Just got done installing my new Hidden Tow Hitch that hides right behind the License plate bracket, but I am waiting for (POL) Performance On Line to return a phone call about it because of a issue. Then I pre-fit the new bumper for clearance because I might have to re adjust & re drill holes for the hidden hitch too be a little closer to the license plate bracket.

1st. pic the clearance problem, too far away
2nd. pic found online others fitment, much better.
3rd. pic my new bumper be for my Destressed treatment like the Hub Caps but not as much.
4th. pic The front bumper I will try and match its Patina on the rear bumper

PS, I might be doing a Truck (project for project) swap. Its a 1957 3100 Chevy Truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitch 002.jpg (93.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Hitch 05.jpg (39.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Hitch 001.jpg (90.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20170301_143230.jpg (164.6 KB, 52 views)

C. My definition for a Retired Person is-If I want, When I want, and If at all I want

Last edited by mjgord51; 10-22-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Let us know what POL says...........that's all screwed up. I like your truck. What's up with the trade?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Let us know what POL says...........that's all screwed up. I like your truck. What's up with the trade?
I was looking in the site "offerup.com" from my computer (but it really works best from Smartphones) and I came across a Post for a 1957 Chevy Truck for $7000 new R/B eng, trans,rear end ect but as a unfinished project. I text him with my phone # through the site and I ask him if he would be up for a Project for Project trade. He called and we talked some but he wasn't up for a trade just wanted to get rid of his project I said I understand, three days later I get a Email from the site from him asking for the pics he ask for earlier of my Truck. I sent him a Email/text back asking for his contact info because I had thrown away all his. That's been a week now and haven't heard back yet.

20 to 30 yrs ago I had these trucks, 55 short step, 66 short fleet, & a 70 3/4 long fleet Truck different times and out of all of them Michelle liked the 55 the best so I said what the heck I'll see if we could come to an agreement, I have always liked the 57's. still waiting for a response from him. On another note Its good to pull back an Empty Trailer with a pocket full of $$$$.$$. Marvin

PS, The back bumper will also get painted White then I'll do my Distressing Treatment to make it look more like the front bumper.

Last edited by mjgord51; 10-23-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
Lakeroadster
Respected Member
Posting Expert

My Mood:
Lakeroadster is on a distinguished road

FWIW.......

Seems like that would work much better if the license plate bracket flipped up... not down.

Then you could cut out the entire bumper behind the license plate.. making installing the hitch pin easier...and Johnny Law might not be so pissed off, since he won't have to crawl under the hitch to see your plate number..

As for the receiver being back to far... probably a short bed hitch.. yeah.. that sucks.

And a '57 3100... would be sweet!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
Az Geezer
Respected Member

My Mood:

Yup, trailer pull easier when empty.......and all the cash doesn't weigh much. Did you hear from POL yet?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeroadster View Post
FWIW.......

Seems like that would work much better if the license plate bracket flipped up... not down.

Then you could cut out the entire bumper behind the license plate.. making installing the hitch pin easier...and Johnny Law might not be so pissed off, since he won't have to crawl under the hitch to see your plate number..

As for the receiver being back to far... probably a short bed hitch.. yeah.. that sucks.

And a '57 3100... would be sweet!
These two pics (both not mine) show how it will be done and the flip up bracket I have is the same one that I will be using. Yes it will flip up!

I still haven't heard back from POL to hear what they have to say about this bad fitment problem. You are probably right (Lakeroadster) on it being for a short bed I didn't think about that Humm, thanks for bringing it up.

As for the 57 he hasn't gotten back to me in a while now. Oh well nothing gained, it would be a sweet deal though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hidden Hitch on a 68 C10.JPG (55.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Hitch4.JPG (49.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by mjgord51; 10-23-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Yup, trailer pull easier when empty.......and all the cash doesn't weigh much. Did you hear from POL yet?
Good to hear you got back OK.

No nothing from POL yet. But Lakeroadster did bring up a good point being it just might be for a Short Bed. Now when they do call back I now have something to bring up to them on the short Bed "Scenario" deal.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
mjgord51
Respected Member

My Mood:

UPDATE on the 57 its Swiss Cheese, I love Swiss Cheese but Not on Metal LOL