ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory

ChevyXtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forum & Web Link Directory (http://www.67-72chevyboard.com/forum/index.php)
-   All The Latest Chit Chat Do It Here (http://www.67-72chevyboard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Steering Gear Box Rebuilders (http://www.67-72chevyboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4307)

mjgord51 09-27-2017 09:55 PM

Steering Gear Box Rebuilders

I am in need of my Power Steering Gear Box rebuilt for my 68 C10. I am not a real big fan on the rebuilt units coming from Auto Parts Stores, there prices are pretty low compared to some of the re-builders prices that I have found on other Forums that ether post there or from members that have said good or bad things about them. So far I see that a lot of members have good things to say about "Red Head Steering Gears", that's great to hear but ** "there's that But word"** I on the other hand have looked into the "BBB" better business bureau site and came up with another opinion by reading a hole lot of complaints about there Warranty returns and read about them Not giving back the Deposit on the unit they sent out for the warranty exchange.

This is only my observation and I would like to know what any of you that have had first hand encounters with them. Good Company or Bad Company? What do you all say

mjgord51 09-28-2017 05:32 PM

Re: Steering Gear Box Rebuilders

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjgord51 (Post 41722)
I am in need of my Power Steering Gear Box rebuilt for my 68 C10. I am not a real big fan on the rebuilt units coming from Auto Parts Stores, there prices are pretty low compared to some of the re-builders prices that I have found on other Forums that ether post there or from members that have said good or bad things about them. So far I see that a lot of members have good things to say about "Red Head Steering Gears", that's great to hear but ** "there's that But word"** I on the other hand have looked into the "BBB" better business bureau site and came up with another opinion by reading a hole lot of complaints about there Warranty returns and read about them Not giving back the Deposit on the unit they sent out for the warranty exchange.

This is only my observation and I would like to know what any of you that have had first hand encounters with them. Good Company or Bad Company? What do you all say

Never mind, I found one from POL with a Life Time Warranty@ $289.99+ $20.00 shipping and No core exchange. A Better Deal All Around.

Ragenrat 10-04-2017 04:39 PM

I changed mine out for a closer gear ratio box designed for
Our trucks so it doesn’t take all day to turn around 😂 been real
Happy with it for the last 14 years. And it really allowed
Me to put a smaller steering wheel in the truck. Other wise
I would have been killing my self trying to spin the wheel 40 turns to make
A corner. Not really but it was a lot because I did run it like that for
A bit until I got the new gear box.
Just my 2 cents 😬
Ragenrat / Mark

mjgord51 10-07-2017 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragenrat (Post 41740)
I changed mine out for a closer gear ratio box designed for
Our trucks so it doesn’t take all day to turn around �� been real
Happy with it for the last 14 years. And it really allowed
Me to put a smaller steering wheel in the truck. Other wise
I would have been killing my self trying to spin the wheel 40 turns to make
A corner. Not really but it was a lot because I did run it like that for
A bit until I got the new gear box.
Just my 2 cents ��
Ragenrat / Mark

Yeah I too am looking forward to the qwick ratio 12:1 with just under 3.5 loc to loc apposed to the I think 17:1 4.5 loc to loc manual box that's in it know. It will be awhile until I get to drive it. I have been for the last 2 years collecting much needed Original parts that I can find for it and re doing some things that did definitely needed changing, like pretty much re wired under the hood. I could go on and on for about 3 or 4 pages in detail what was wrong with it when I bought it (but I wont) not just yet LOL. This is the nick name for now that I came up for it I call it my "Junk Yard Dog" being what the PO past owners have did to it and let me tell you they "Thoroughly Molested" it, 22" wheels N tires, wheel spacers, short N long lug bolts,92 1/2 ton front disc brakes with 6 lug rotors, rear jeep coils, front coils heated and then used coil spacers,miss matched shocks (4), rear lower shock mounts different from each other,73-78 radiator, make shift duel elect fans setup, 73 and up engine perch's, 3 fuel filters,cut manual trans X member out for 700R4, keep original 3 on the tree and used one of the shift levers, make shift linkage for auto trans, 89 305ci eng with holley 1850/4160 and used Bailing wire to hookup the TV cable from trans, factory gauges not working so PO installed a 3 gauge setup that I need to Tap on gauges to make them work from time to time,cut hole in floor for shifter maybe, holes in lower doors but no signs of speakers ever was mounted, 66 and under seat slid brackets... and on and on and on..

Well you guys get the message, thoroughly molested "junk yard dog"! I am just know getting to do more and more on it so maybe Summer will be time for it to hit the streets again maybe. Marvin

Ragenrat 10-10-2017 12:43 PM

WOW!! They did give the work over :sad:
Well glad she is in good hands now. :wtg::yaayy:
Mark / Ragen

mjgord51 11-10-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragenrat (Post 41750)
WOW!! They did give the work over :sad:
Well glad she is in good hands now. :wtg::yaayy:
Mark / Ragen

Actually Mark their is a bit of a list more then what I posted. And Iam sure I'll find other things wrong with it as I go through it while under its deconstruction and construction period.