PDA

View Full Version : can I hang out with y'all?

T Smith
10-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Hope y'all will let me hang out around here, I'll behave, honest! Just poking around a bit I recognize a few folks and already feel a good vibe. After getting fed up with the seemingly endless stupidity and spoon feeding of idiots going on at the "other" site I kinda blew up and left in a huff. I got an invitation to come over here and check things out, so if y'all will have me, I'll hang around a bit?

Lakeroadster
10-17-2013, 09:40 PM
You sure can hang out here.... :welcome: to our site Thomas.

Great site, great members and a great owner.... that's what you will find here.

I have but one request of you: post up a bunch of photos of your truck, tell us about it, and about yourself.

John :wave2:

T Smith
10-17-2013, 10:32 PM
You sure can hang out here.... :welcome: to our site Thomas.

Great site, great members and a great owner.... that's what you will find here.

I have but one request of you: post up a bunch of photos of your truck, tell us about it, and about yourself.

John :wave2:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Not much to tell about me, just an old gear head that's been fooling with anything with a motor on it since I was a kid and haven't changed a bit just gotten older and the toys are more expensive.

I got this old Chevy 3 years ago. My best bud and I made a road rip from Vicksburg, Ms to Orlando, Fla and picked it up sight unseen and road tripped it back home. I was sick fighting cancer (pancreatic, and kicked its ass!!), had just finished 6 weeks radiation and was doing weekly chemo, had a treatment the day before we headed out! Didn't have any business going, was weak, not eating, etc but it's the stuff memories are made of and I wouldn't be denied! The old engine was weak, every wheel bearing in it was bad, axles worn, gears howling, front end shot, brakes pulling, but it had a pretty solid body. I've since built a stout 355, built the rear with all new stuff, gears, posi, axles, bearings. Did the complete front end and did drop spindles, power discs, bags all around, front and rear sway bars, changed to 5 lug, etc. The list goes on and on but she's shaping up, a few more mechanical things and I plan to slick it out and put a fresh paint job on it.

The before and after shots...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/truckinpark008.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/truckinpark015.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/007-2.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/009.jpg

T Smith
10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
I'll post up some engine and interior pics tomorrow!

I don't pretend to know everything but what I do I learned the hard way and ain't just repeating what I've read on the internet somewhere. I'll bring what I've got to the table and help any way I can!

Az Geezer
10-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Thomas......you are VERY welcome here!

You guys are going to convince me to do a 64-66 shorty yet. Dang, I should buy the shorty frame on craigs list for 150, huh?

Cancer? Kickin' it's ass? you bet, every day! I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in August '09..........been thru radiation, chemo, 4 surgeries ever since then. I was told maybe 5 years. Right now I'm in remission.

My wife got diagnosed with lung cancer last January. She's going thru the Hell part right now. Her last treatment was 2 weeks ago tomorrow and she's starting to feel a little better.......pray for her, she's my best friend. She was told maybe a year, now they're talking about surgery.

I had "Chemo Lite" this afternoon. Left chemo, went back to our office, Loaded up the dog, and my wife, and went over to my friend's place and loaded up the '29 Ford roadster we're taking to the Pomona swap meet. We'll be on the road about 6 am tomorrow, it's 500 miles.

Last weekend Bonnie spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday in bed, sick as heck from her chemo. She's alive and kickin' and told me and my son-in-law Mike to get out of town and go to Pomona.........I told her Monday we'd cancel if she didn't feel better....she wouldn't hear of it.

Car people here, you bet. Caring, helpful people here, you bet. Drama, suspensions, egos, Nah, that's what Liz and Josh are for.

Incidently, when my Grandson Johnathan (he'll be six in November)called me about six weeks ago to wish me Happy Birthday, he also asked if we could get started building him a pickup truck. I immediately pictured a 66 short stepper. Sounds about right, doesn't it? I think we're a hot rod family.

By the way, did I tell you you'll fit right in here?

Bill

Rich 5150 69
10-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Well Thomas, very happy you joined us from the darkside, I still post occasionally there, but only because there are a bunch of locals there, you have a sweet truck, I`ve watched it thru the changes....:yes:

BAGGED70C-10
10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Welcome aboard !!!
Almost every one here was Beamed up by the Dark Side! lol,

I'm not a Forum Monger (No offence guys :))

I like to find a place to call home and this is it. No Need to go anywhere else when your good friends are here. (Not that I don't wander once in a while :innocent: )

I love the stance on your truck. what is it? Hell I love everything so far I see about your truck..

Thanks so much for joining, We'll be friends in no time.

Bagged, Ron

T Smith
10-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys, and AZ Geezer you, your wife, and family are in my prayers!

LostMy65
10-18-2013, 06:23 PM
When I saw you getting frustrated there, I tried to send you a pm to here, but they scrambled it with a bunch of *********.
So I created a 'TinyUrl' to send you.
Glad you made it over here.
btw.. Sarcasm is welcome here. We get it.
Now get lost!

T Smith
10-18-2013, 06:46 PM
When I saw you getting frustrated there, I tried to send you a pm to here, but they scrambled it with a bunch of *********.
So I created a 'TinyUrl' to send you.
Glad you made it over here.
btw.. Sarcasm is welcome here. We get it.
Now get lost!

Sure do appreciate the invitation, I'm already liking it here!

I didn't say who had invited me, didn't know if you wanted to be the one held responsible - ha!

T Smith
10-18-2013, 07:03 PM
And, as promised, a few more pics of the old Chevy.:wink:

This is the 3rd incarnation of this engine and it's finally right. When I first built it I used a Summit house brand cam and lifters that wiped a lobe out so I tore into it and put in a Lunati cam and lifters only to have another lobe failure. I said no more and tore it all down to swap it to roller and realized my machinist had done me wrong on the block decking. It wasn't square, he had only taken .010 off what was there, which was dang near .030 off from one corner to the other. Stuff like that bugs me and one thing led to another. I had a new machine shop zero deck it SQUARE with their BHJ decking system. I set it up with a Howards retrofit roller cam and race lifters. Also wound up with new flat tops that needed new Scat rods with bushed pins. It's all swinging on a steel Eagle crank. The heads are Patriot 195cc intake runner freedoms with some porting, RPM intake and 3310 Holley with Hedman headers. It really runs strong, pulls hard, will light'em up pretty much at will and keeps up with traffic no problem!

Moral to the story, never again will I have anything to do with building a flat tappet motor.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/002-3.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/004-3.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/blown84gt/005-1.jpg

LostMy65
10-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Very Nice!

Lakeroadster
10-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Very nice !

OLD 9
10-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Welcome from Utah. Great little truck. No heater?

Rich 5150 69
10-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Welcome from Utah. Great little truck. No heater?
He has thrift air, it all resides under the dash, no bread box under the hood, actually wish mine had it....! Or maybe not...! :giggle:

T Smith
10-19-2013, 06:00 PM
He has thrift air, it all resides under the dash, no bread box under the hood, actually wish mine had it....! Or maybe not...! :giggle:

It's thrift air alright, I took it all out! It's starting to cool off now though, I'll stick it back in there pretty soon, was hoping to do Vintage Air but money is tight.

Chicago5
10-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Welcome from Montana. LOVE the '66!

Lakeroadster
10-20-2013, 08:21 AM
It's thrift air alright, I took it all out!

Thrifty air :doh:

Rich 5150 69
10-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Hey Thomas, if you get a chance get a pic of the Thrift air unit before you install, considering changing mine out to get rid of the bread box....

pxwolvie
10-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Hello and Welcome, ha we just drove thru Jackson last Tuesday night after a long road trip, so your west of Jackson then? We are up in Holly Springs 1/2 hr. south of Memphis, really like the look of your truck as mentioned before it has a nice stance and clean looking.

64tonka
10-26-2013, 06:36 PM
welcome to the best site, all these guys are great people, i also love your truck , i think you will fit in fine with us and any knowledge that you bring with you is always welcome.