PDA

View Full Version : My first truck

Blackedoutharley
12-22-2012, 03:48 AM
My first truck, and in fact one of my very first automobiles, was a '63 C10 Short stepside.
It started my love affair with 60-66 Chevy trucks.

I now have the opportunity to buy another one that is in much better shape. Belongs to the guy who used to live next door to me up until about 2 years ago.
6 cyl, 3 on the tree... all stock. He doesn't have room for it and wants it gone.

$1500 bucks or best offer. I remember it being in nice shape with minimal to no rust to speak of and unmolested.

My wife said no... good thing I rat hole money away for such things as this. LOL.

Chicago5
12-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes. You never know when an emergency opportunity like this will come up. Good "First Truck" story.

Az Geezer
12-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Well, I'll ask my wife if I can have it, then.
Bill

Chicago5
12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, I'll ask my wife if I can have it, then.
Bill
See? More for my book. "AZ Geezer's Famous, Funny, and Frequent One Liners".

Az Geezer
12-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Lordy, Lordy...........Bonnie said yes!

Chicago5
12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
:bow:I love you bonnie!!!!!!!!:bighug:

Blackedoutharley
12-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Don't laugh... it might end up being yours once my wife has an aneurysm after it gets here.

Blackedoutharley
12-22-2012, 03:27 PM
There are actually two stories with that old truck that bring a tear of laughter to my eyes even all these years later.

The first one if from the week I got it.... first off I was very young and even though I knew quite a bit having grown up in automotive and working in my dads machine shop I was also a teenager and well, we all know what happens to their brains at times.

Anyways I worked at a gas station that had 2 service bays... the convenience store portion consisted of a Coke machine.

This truck had the original canister oil filter still on it. So I got the spin on adapter, put the truck on the rack and went to work. The engine, it turns out, had apparently been to the moon and back... several times and without regular oil changes.
Following my grandfather's footsteps, who used Rislone at every oil change and engine flush every 5th (see where this train wreck is headed? LOL)....

I ran the engine to get the oil good and hot after installing the flush solution, drained the pan, installed the spin on kit and new filter, pumped it full of 30 wt Mobil and one quart of Rislone then fired it up....

OMG THE SMOKE!

Apparently I had loosed up every bit of sludge in this engine that was keeping it from smoking. It was pouring smoke out of the bay door so bad that a passing motorist called the fire dept! LOL
The oil pressure was marginal and sporadic.

It never stopped smoking, ever... It was going through oil so fast that I would dump a bottle of STP in it at every fill up. When my neighbor changed his own oil I would get his used oil and keep several milk jugs in the bed... It was like keeping Jerry cans of gas on board for an off-road cross country trek through the desert.

Second story later that ties into this one and also involves fire....

GMCDAC
12-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Great story and it sounds like a bargain getting the new to you one! Can't wait for the next installment.

Bill, Bonnie spoils you, but you have earned it I'm sure;-)=

Later---DAC

Az Geezer
12-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Bonnie is, with out a doubt, the best thing that ever happened to me..........

Blackedoutharley
12-23-2012, 12:19 AM
So the second great story with this truck...

As you can imagine not only did this thing burn oil but after my cleansing experiment it also leaked like a sieve...

Somebody prior to me owning it had also installed a floor shifter moving it from the column.

As with most floor shift conversions the hole in the floor for the shifter was nowhere near as clean as I would have done, but it worked; partly because it was nearly big enough to remove the transmission through.

So my buddy and I are driving through town and amazingly a cop gets behind me (hoping for an oil bath from the exhaust I assume) which was a common occurrence back then. So the cop is following me and its just a matter of time before he pulls me over for something, or waits until I pull up to my folks house then turns on the lights.

I came to a main intersection in town, down shift from 3rd, let the clutch out and make the turn on the green light without stopping...

The oil leak was enough that it ignited when it hit the exhaust at the just the precise moment, as I was negotiating the turn, and threw a huge (and I do mean HUGE!) ball of fire through the floor into the cab. LOL

Enough that it left a black mark of soot (probably oil really, LOL) on the ceiling of the cab. I, for whatever reason, stomped the throttle to the floor which resulted in the rear tires breaking loose turning the truck sideways in a cloud of tire smoke... well truth be known the smoke was probably coming out of the exhaust but tire smoke sounds better and its my story, LOL!

The cop instantly lit us up and pulled me over.

The best part, after asking me the standard question of the day: "what the H**L do you think you're doing?" and then checking to see if I was okay was when he shinned his light on my buddy who had sadly lost half of his mustache and nearly both eyebrows in the fire!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cop was in tears!

Actually that was the third best story... second best was getting caught by another cop with this cops daughter in the back of the truck, LOL!

I ended up selling the truck and getting something else but I loved that truck and it started everything.

GMCDAC
12-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Great story! I dig history of old vehicles.

Thanks---DAC

Az Geezer
12-25-2012, 08:52 AM
So, did you buy the truck with money from your "stash"?

Blackedoutharley
12-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Going to look at it later this week. He was busy with the holidays and has two small kids and I wasn't able to get over there but I am on vacation until the 7th so I have time now.

Az Geezer
12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
In case you are too busy, what's the address again?

Blackedoutharley
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I can give you mine if you're interested in it after I bring it home.
LOL